Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 5 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Legacy Controller set as static route for the network

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  Legacy Controller set as static route for the network

Posted 21 days ago

Hi All,

Hoping for some pointers for next steps if possible

I am currently migrating a pair of 6.5 Controllers to a Mobility Master setup running 8.10

I have the Mobility Master configured, and one of the controllers configured on the new system, with all APs migrated to the new MM and working correctly. 

My next step is to remove the second legacy controller, upgrade it and add it to the New MM controller cluster.

So all good so far.

However, the legacy controller VRRP is set as the next hop on the Core switch and firewall on site. Also for other vlans separate to the wireless install. 

There were issues previously when the Core or Firewall were used that their mac address table filled and they fell over. Switches are to be replaced but in a later phase.

I am trying to recreate the VRRP from the 6.5 controller on the new controller but am not having any success.

Config of the legacy controller vrrp:

vrrp 50
      priority 110
      authentication #######
      ip address 10.255.1.252
      vlan 50
      tracking master-up-time 30 add 20
      no shutdown

vrrp 254
      priority 110
      authentication #######
      ip address 10.255.255.254
      vlan 100
      tracking master-up-time 1 add 20
      no shutdown

the static route for the firewall and core is to 10.255.1.252

I have configured the vrrp on the Controller level, with the same settings, but it is not working correctly when the remaining  legacy controller is disconnected. 

I have configured the VRRP on the following hierarchical level;

Manager Network > Controllers> 7200 controller

Any tips on next steps would be very appreciated!

• 2.  RE: Legacy Controller set as static route for the network

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 20 days ago

I would get rid of the 'tracking master-up-time 1 add 20', as that may be related to the master - backup configuration in 6.x, which is no longer used in 8.x with MCR (previously MM) setups.

If you check the VRRP status (show vrrp; show vrrp stats all), that may help a lot as well to understand what's going on...

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: Legacy Controller set as static route for the network

Posted 14 days ago

HI Herman,

Thanks for your reply.

So I can pretty much  copy this configuration into the new 8.x system minus your recommendation?

• 4.  RE: Legacy Controller set as static route for the network

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 13 days ago

To set up VRRP, the commands should be the same indeed, with the exception, and that you probably will have a different priority on both of the nodes.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.