Security

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Location specific authentication servers

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Location specific authentication servers

Posted 12 days ago

Is it possible to select an authentication server based on the controller used?

I have a 4 node CPPM cluster, authenticating to a primary and backup AD controller on our main campus. One of those nodes is on a remote campus, and I'd like to have it use a local AD controller rather than authenticating across the WAN.

I can create a unique authentication server, and I can create a unique service to use it based on the NAS ID, but is there a better and less manual way?

This is for eduroam, so switching from passwords to certificates is not an option.

• 2.  RE: Location specific authentication servers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 12 days ago

The topic "Adding a Password Server" is what I think you are after.

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ClearPass/6.12/PolicyManager/Content/CPPM_UserGuide/Admin/ServerConfig_editsystemtab.htm#B926210353

------------------------------
    Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 3.  RE: Location specific authentication servers

Posted 12 days ago

Thanks Carson. That will take care of it for authentications.

Now if I understand correctly, the AD domain connection is only used for MSCHAPV2 logins. All the attributes are pulled using LDAP from the AD server(s) in the authentication source. I think I can do some geo-dns hacks to make that work.

Friday is funday. :)

• 4.  RE: Location specific authentication servers
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 12 days ago

Set your Auth Source primary target to the domain name rather than a specific DC, DNS should return a result based on the configured site.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 5.  RE: Location specific authentication servers

Posted 12 days ago

Well that's simply too logical.

Thanks!

Andrew