Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Macbook M1 has wifi issue with 802.11ac/n

This thread has been viewed 42 times
  • 1.  Macbook M1 has wifi issue with 802.11ac/n

Posted Aug 02, 2022 06:48 AM
    Hi all,

I'm facing an issue with 802.11ac/n on Macbook M1. The issue occurs in the zone that has a lot of Macbook devices.
    The WiFi connection is totally unstable and users have experienced slower Internet speeds even if it shows good connection status, SNR is about 35-40 dB
    The download speed is around 10-20Mbps. AP 335 and 345.

Everything is working properly when the users move to another zone (the download speed is 40-45Mbps)

I have to disable VHT on ap group but It can be fixed only on other Macbooks but not on the Apple M1
    Below is the Macbook model:
    Macbook Pro 13-inch 2020
    CPU:1-Apple:M1 Chip:8-core;RAM:1-Apple:PC4-19200:16GB;Disk:1-Apple:SSD:256GB;Graphic:Apple M1 8 core GPU

Does anyone have the same problem or any idea to fix it?

Thanks in advance for the help.

• 2.  RE: Macbook M1 has wifi issue with 802.11ac/n

Posted Aug 04, 2022 07:52 AM
    Hello Tigerbt,
    There isn't any bandwidth restrictions in your SSID for that zone? 
    What happens when you connect a different device, let's say a windows?

• 3.  RE: Macbook M1 has wifi issue with 802.11ac/n

Posted Aug 10, 2022 06:54 AM
    Hi Harrisb,

There is no bandwidth restriction in the SSID profile. The issue occurs in Macbook high-density zone.
    When clients move to other floors (with no high-density Macbook), the speed is ok.
    I make a test on the same device with 2 zones. 
    Thanks for your support.

• 4.  RE: Macbook M1 has wifi issue with 802.11ac/n

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 04, 2022 10:44 AM
    If you search, there are many WiFi performance issues reported on Macs with the Apple CPUs. Few things that I found were that you could try to disable Bluetooth or make sure that you set a non-DFS channel.

But indeed first make sure that the issue is only related to this Macbook and not to all clients on the same AP.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 5.  RE: Macbook M1 has wifi issue with 802.11ac/n

Posted Jul 28, 2023 03:53 AM

Hi Herman,

Thanks for your reply.

I would like to ask why we should set up a non-DFS channel. I see that the instructions for a WLAN high-density deployment are being utilized with the DFS channel. DFS channels (Channel 52-140) are being used on my site.

I'd also like to add on, in the morning, when only a few Macs and devices with other operating systems are present, they function properly.

The problem occurs when utilizing entire Macs with wireless technologies 802.11ac. I faced the same issue on 802.11ax as well(535 IAP)

Currently, I reconfigured the AP to exclusively support 802.11n only (no longer ac and ax), thereby ensuring a more stable connection for Macs clients.

BTW, Macbook clients are also experiencing connection issues, as they tend to stay connected to distant APs without the client-match feature effect.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Thanks

• 6.  RE: Macbook M1 has wifi issue with 802.11ac/n

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 28, 2023 09:39 AM

As mentioned 'Few things that I found were that you could try to disable Bluetooth or make sure that you set a non-DFS channel.' based on 'If you search (the internet), there are many WiFi performance issues reported on Macs with the Apple CPUs'. 

So I'm not recommending anything, just that some reported that disabling DFS solved it for them.

I know many people in Aruba extensively use Macs and don't see these issues. These may not be the M1 models.

Are you on a recent firmware version? These type of connectivity issues may be fixed in newer versions.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.