View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Expand all | Collapse all

managing Aruba 2029 with multiple ip address

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  managing Aruba 2029 with multiple ip address

Posted Jun 16, 2022 07:05 AM
    Hello There,
    We can access hp 2920, ssh or web, with the ip address of every SVI set up on it besides its ip address. Example, if I am connected to vlan x, I can access the switch through typing the ip address of the SVI of the vlan. 
    My question is how does this happen, as I know the SVI are there to route inter vlan traffic how they can lead to switch management and how can I enable/disable such feature ?

• 2.  RE: managing Aruba 2029 with multiple ip address

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 17, 2022 05:27 PM
    CLI (reachable through SSH or Telnet, as example) and Web Dashboard (the GUI, if enabled) are bound to any IP was activated to a particular VLAN Interface.

So, let we to suppose you assigned an IP Address to VLAN Id 1 (which exists by default), doing that you enabled the CLI/GUI services to be bound to that IP Address. The same happens when you create another VLAN Id (and activate it so the VLAN Interface is "Up") and you assign another non overlapping IP Address, in this case the IP Routing is not necessarily involved.

It is sufficient to have a PC connected to a port operating in Access Mode configured to be - say - untagged member of VLAN Id1 and, from that host, you should be able to reach the CLI/GUI services provided that the PC and the SVI IP Addresses both belong to the same L2 Subnet...the same could be said about any other VLAN Id "x" you will create and address with an IP Address (clearly considering another Host connected to a port operating in Access Mode configured to be untagged member of that VLAN Id "x"). Routing just kicks in other scenarios (and setting up the Switch's Default Gateway is necessary at that point if you want to manage the Switch through CLI/Dashboard from other routed VLAN Ids).

• 3.  RE: managing Aruba 2029 with multiple ip address

Posted Jun 19, 2022 10:32 AM
    Hello,

That s clear. I understand that every access port in vlan x need to be able to communicate with the default gateway, SVI, in ordre to be able to reach out to other subnet, if the ip routing is on, but is there a way to prevent those access port from accessing the gui and ssh/telnet seevices ? Thanks for your help.