Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Maximum Number of Internal Database Users

This thread has been viewed 36 times
  • 1.  Maximum Number of Internal Database Users

Posted Dec 08, 2022 10:29 AM
    What is the maximum number of users in internal database for Aruba7210 Controller? Is there any way to add MAC Authentication from external server? If yes, How?

• 2.  RE: Maximum Number of Internal Database Users

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 09, 2022 12:01 AM
    you can easily add any RADIUS server to perform MAC auth.
    As an example you can add ClearPass to perform MAC auth and you can upload any number of MAC addresses to it or better, you can have your MAC addresses in an SQL db and ClearPass can authorise against it.

------------------------------
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: Maximum Number of Internal Database Users

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 09, 2022 12:03 AM
    check this playlist for ClearPass, there is one for guest and MAC auth.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnOGv6sN804&list=PLsYGHuNuBZcb0xD05v9zdwv7NlUG_8oJS

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 4.  RE: Maximum Number of Internal Database Users

Posted Dec 10, 2022 02:40 AM
    from where I can choose authentication server when creating SSID? I just have the checkbox to enable MAC Authentication. No option to choose authentication server.

I also need to know the number of maximum number of users can added to the internal database.<quillbot-extension-portal></quillbot-extension-portal>

• 5.  RE: Maximum Number of Internal Database Users
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 10, 2022 05:48 AM
    I am guessing the internal db on a 7210 could take around 15-16K

you can create your auth server from Configuration-> Auth->Auth servers
    https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_8.8.0_Web_Help/Content/arubaos-solutions/auth-servers/auth-serv.htm

You need to add the auth servers to the server group and then call it from aaa profile

and then finally reference the aaa profile in your Virtual AP profile

• 6.  RE: Maximum Number of Internal Database Users

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 10, 2022 09:55 AM
    To be honest, the issue with using the internal database is not the capacity, but the usability from a management perspective.  It is not that easy to search, replace and update thousands of users in the internal database with the current interface (commandline or gui), that is why we usually recommend using Clearpass or another external AAA device that supports better usability.  The controller interface was not designed to manage that many adds changes and deletions, even though it is capable of it.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card