Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 7 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

MCR + Controller just assign 2 same channels to all APs on radio 6 ghz

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  MCR + Controller just assign 2 same channels to all APs on radio 6 ghz

Posted 12 days ago

Hello everybody,

we have 9240 controllers link a mobility conductor, all in version 8.10.0.12 LSR. We have 19 APs in a group and we activate the 6 ghz on a SSID with security wpa3-personal.

I don t understand why out of all the channels available in the regulatory domain, all the APs are still on the same 2 channels. If i remove the 2 channels chosen from the regulatory domain, the APs just all take another two channels. On 5 ghz everything is ok with channel assignment. Airmatch is activated; it seems it does not act on 6 ghz.

i have 19 APs, for example i will have 10 on channel 5 and 9 on channel 53, if i remove 5 and 53 from the RD, the controller now assigns channel 21 to maybe 7 APs and channel 37 to the other 12 APs, but it always pick 2 channels in the set and assign them to all the APs; randomly or not, i don t know. You will see on the screen below, i force everything on 20 Mhz to be sure to not have couple channel.

Did someone already saw this issue ?

• 2.  RE: MCR + Controller just assign 2 same channels to all APs on radio 6 ghz

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 11 days ago

Has AirMatch run a solution for those APs?  Is there a reason you're restricting the 6 GHz channel to 20 MHz?

------------------------------
    Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 3.  RE: MCR + Controller just assign 2 same channels to all APs on radio 6 ghz

Posted 11 days ago

Hello Chulcher,

Thank for your reply. Yes Airmatch is ok, and run, as i specified everything is ok on 5 Ghz for example.

And about 20Mhz, i dit it because in that case i avoid channel chaining, so i minimise interference, and after all i don t need high throughput. all my customers just do TSE, 

• 4.  RE: MCR + Controller just assign 2 same channels to all APs on radio 6 ghz

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 11 days ago

What regulatory domain?  What channels do you have enabled?

For reasons that are historical and no longer apply in the real world but still impact the software, the AP will not normally operate on any channel that either isn't a PSC or that includes a PSC.  Please make sure to enable ALL of the available 6 GHz channels for your regulatory domain.  We are working on changes that will allow 20 MHz and 40 MHz operation on the non-PSC but that doesn't exist yet.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 5.  RE: MCR + Controller just assign 2 same channels to all APs on radio 6 ghz

Posted 10 days ago

In the regulatory domain 

first of all the controller just pick 5 and 53. Once i removed it i changed to 21 and 37, still PSC. But always 2 channels.

Thanks for your reply

• 6.  RE: MCR + Controller just assign 2 same channels to all APs on radio 6 ghz

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 10 days ago

Change to 80 MHz channel widths, run the AirMatch solver and see if that results in any changes.  If not, open a case with TAC to troubleshoot.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 7.  RE: MCR + Controller just assign 2 same channels to all APs on radio 6 ghz

Posted 6 days ago

Hello Chulcher,

I have opened a case more than 1 week ago, but till now nothing relevant.

Changing the maximum width to 80Mhz as you recommended, allowed the controller to assign 2 more channels to access points. This is great and the first step forward on this case; Now i am getting 5E,53E, 21E, 37E. So am i supposed to understand that the behaviour we are facing is normal depending on the minimum and maximum width ? 

Will the controller still stay on PSC Channel according to the 6ghz radio ? In that case what about the interferences between access point which transmits on the same channels ? if we have 200 access points and we want to broadcast ssid with on 6ghz radio, what should we do to avoid interferences ?

Many thank for your help.

• 8.  RE: MCR + Controller just assign 2 same channels to all APs on radio 6 ghz

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 6 days ago

As I mentioned previously:

For reasons that are historical and no longer apply in the real world but still impact the software, the AP will not normally operate on any channel that either isn't a PSC or that includes a PSC.  Please make sure to enable ALL of the available 6 GHz channels for your regulatory domain.  We are working on changes that will allow 20 MHz and 40 MHz operation on the non-PSC but that doesn't exist yet.

With all of the channels in your regulatory domain enabled, you should have six active (80 MHz) channels at this point: 5, 21, 37, 53, 69, and 85.  Yes, this means that for regulatory domains that only have 500 MHz of the 6 GHz band unlocked that there will be challenges with ACI and CCI, similar as attempting 80 MHz channels in 5 GHz.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110