Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Mesh link and ethernet port bridging question - AP-367s and AP-335

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  Mesh link and ethernet port bridging question - AP-367s and AP-335

Posted Mar 08, 2024 09:05 AM

Hello-

I come from the controller side of wireless but need to dip my toes into IAP.  I've been tasked with deploying a mesh link to extend a network connection to another building.  I'll be using (2) AP-367s for the mesh, and one of the AP's will be the Primary controller & Mesh-portal in the IAP cluster.  The 2nd AP-367 will be the Mesh-point and will have it's Ethernet port set to bridging mode and connected to a non-managed switch.  On that switch will be an AP-335 to serve clients inside.  Simple pic of topology:

My question is regarding this note:  

Will I be able to accomplish my goal here, or is this just a limitation when the "Mesh-point" E0 port is not set to "Bridged Mode"?  I'm getting ready to lab this before deployment so I thought I would ask in advance.

Thanks,

Matt

• 2.  RE: Mesh link and ethernet port bridging question - AP-367s and AP-335
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 08, 2024 10:51 AM

The restriction is that you can't have a single VC managing IAPs on both sides of a mesh that is also part of the cluster.

My recommendation:

• Configure both of the AP-367 as standalone and use either the clusterless mesh or mesh profile to configure mesh.
    • The 335 can be standalone or cluster; if there is an IAP VC already behind the mesh portal then the 335 can be part of that cluster.

------------------------------
    Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Mesh link and ethernet port bridging question - AP-367s and AP-335

Posted Mar 18, 2024 09:26 AM

Carson-

I finished up the project last week.  With your suggestions and some reading of the IAP Manual, I set up the network to comprise of:

• VC1 and MESH:  Mesh AP's and a bridged Ethernet port
    • VC2:  Standalone AP and DHCP server for client WLAN
    • Aruba Instant ON unmanaged switch for L2
    Thanks,