Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Meshpoint with wired downlink

This thread has been viewed 19 times
  • 1.  Meshpoint with wired downlink

Posted Jan 27, 2023 10:49 AM
    Hi all,

I am building a setup where we need some wired devices to connect to the wired network on a slowly rotating platform where we do have power, but no netwerk connectivity. 

My idea is to use a Mesh using a mesh portal and a mesh point. I have a couple of 518 AP's with external omni antenna's to build this. All my configuration is done trough central.

I am using the 8.10.5 software version.

I have configured a wired interface profile for the downlink and configured ETH1 as downlink on all AP's. My idea is that I can connect the uplink of an AP to the wired network. When I plug everythink in, everything is fine and both AP's function as a MESH Portal.

When I unplug 1 of the APs from the switch and connect it to a POE injector, eventually the AP joins the cluster as a mesh point and is online in central.

However, this is only if there is nothing connected to the Data port of the poe injector, so there is no Link on any ethernet port.  Whenever I plug in something to the POE injector, like my laptop, as soon as there is link detected on ETH1, the AP reboots with reason "Mesh point transitioned to portal".  

Does someone know what I can do to prevent the reboot from happening when I plug something into the eth port?

------------------------------
    Jelmer Hartman

• 2.  RE: Meshpoint with wired downlink

Posted Jan 27, 2023 11:21 AM
    I dit get this working after reading the following thread:

https://community.arubanetworks.com/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=13&MessageKey=a3d1a780-d744-4fb8-accb-d0dba27eec77&CommunityKey=ff734391-dcd7-4802-93c6-e0913abba875&tab=digestviewer

What I did intitially, is configure the ETH0 as uplink and ETH1 as downlink.
    After configuring ETH0 as downlink  and ETH1 as default,  and connecting my client to ETH0, it worked.

I am not completely sure why my setup using ETH1 as downlink did not work, but at least I can proceed. Also I'm wondering if the ETH0 as downlink, will still work when I connect it to the wired network, so some futher testing is in order.

Jelmer Hartman

• 3.  RE: Meshpoint with wired downlink

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 31, 2023 10:42 PM
    With AOS Instant you have to set E0 to downlink to force operation as a Mesh Point when an Ethernet link is detected.  Otherwise, as you saw, the AP will want to operate in Mesh Portal mode.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110