Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

MM losing contact with MD

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  MM losing contact with MD

Posted Jun 09, 2022 04:45 PM

Hello,

I'm seeing an issue with 1 of the 34 controllers we have pointing to our MC in that the stats periodically drop to zero...as though the MC has completely lost contact with the MD. The first screenshot below shows the MC view of the MD "normal", but I've highlighted the 1 to 2-minutes gaps in the traffic reporting.  The second screenshot shows what the MC looks like when it's not longer reporting data for the MD.  When these gaps occur, I'm able to maintain a ping from the MD to the MC, so it does not appear that the tunnel is breaking.  The actual MD stats are steady. Furthermore, the MD's are a vrrp pair at the same physical location within inches of each other and I'm only seeing this from 1 of them.  Any thoughts or ideas before I open a case?  TIA.

Working:

Broken:

• 2.  RE: MM losing contact with MD

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 10, 2022 05:02 PM
    type "show log system all" and "show log security all" to see if there is anything in the logs on the MD or the MM about why it is disconnecting.  Is the ip address the MD pointing to a VRRP or is it a real MM ip address?

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 3.  RE: MM losing contact with MD

Posted Jun 13, 2022 12:49 PM
    The MD's point to a VRRP for the geo-diverse MM's.

I browsed the logs on the MD and noticed that the regional Airwave server was attempting to access the MD several times per second and failing authentication.  I didn't think it would have anything to do with this particular issue, but I corrected the device management creds in Airwave as matter of SOP, and I was surprised to see that the sawtoothing of the MD usage and client counts went away.  Unless it's coincidence, it appears that the MD's constant batting away or Airwave login attempts was possible causing a resource problem on the MD or causing a process to restart that affected the sharing of usage and client stats between the MM and MD.  Possible?

• 4.  RE: MM losing contact with MD

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 13, 2022 12:58 PM
    I honestly don't know.

Congrats on finding the fix.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card