Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Mobility controller & mobility master in public cloud

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  Mobility controller & mobility master in public cloud

Posted Nov 18, 2022 07:27 PM
    Is there any support for running mobility controller and mobility masters in a public cloud such as AWS?

I couldn't find any images in the AWS marketplace, as far as I can see the only option would be to run the virtual versions on an ESXi or proxmox host but looking for confirmation! If that is the case, has anyone tried it before? What were the running costs like?

Thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: Mobility controller & mobility master in public cloud

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 18, 2022 08:17 PM
    I dont think it is supported.

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: Mobility controller & mobility master in public cloud
    Best Answer

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Nov 19, 2022 10:22 AM
    Not supported to run mobility controller over a WAN, don't even ask for it ;).

When you like cloud-based management i would recommend to look for Aruba Central cloud-based management. Depending on your deployment you don't require a controller.
    Only when you like to tunnel your AP traffic over GRE tunnels to a centralized controller a gateway (aka controller) is needed on site.

For example:
    - Two Aruba VPNC concentrators in your datacenter, on-premise or cloud, or both, AWS is supported, see here example.
    - One or Two Aruba Brach Gateways on your locations for SD-WAN Tunnel orchestrion to the VPNC in the datacenter, and tunnel your AP traffic in tunneled node to the Branch Gateway.

If you have only one location you can go for Aruba AP-300 and newer AP with Aruba Central AOS10 cloud-based management, no controller or mobility master needed. The AP works then in Bridge-Mode where Wi-Fi vlans directly breakout on the edgeswitches.

If you have only one location but like Tunneled-Mode where Wi-Fi vlans are transported over GRE tunnels to a Centralized Controller, we recommend keep your Controllers on the samen LAN or close to your default gateway firewall/router infrastructure. Again don't use Tunneled-Mode over a WAN connection. Off-Course you can use Aruba Central for cloud-based manage your AP and Controlllers. There is no Mobility Master needed because Aruba Central will takeover this tasks.

Only Aruba VPN Concentrators are supported in the Cloud motioned for your SD-WAN solution to Branch Gateways.

Hope this helps you! I would recommend you to discusse with your local Aruba Partner for the best solution for your infrastructure.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2022 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opinions are my own

• 4.  RE: Mobility controller & mobility master in public cloud

Posted Nov 21, 2022 04:46 AM
    Thanks for the comprehensive reply, much appreciated!