Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Moving from a controller network to Aruba Central

This thread has been viewed 66 times
  • 1.  Moving from a controller network to Aruba Central

Posted Aug 09, 2022 05:50 AM
    Hi, 

I just want to ask is it possible to change from a controller managed AP to an Instant AP? Instant AP that is managed by Aruba Central. 
    Back story: We have a client with few sites around the world those sites do not have any It staff. They have 7005 controllers and Aruba AP 315, I believe the J number is: JW797A. Can this model AP be converted to an Instant AP? I see there is a convert option on the controller has anyone ever used that ?
    Also, is there any command to confirm the part number of the APs on a wireless controller?

Thanks, 

• 2.  RE: Moving from a controller network to Aruba Central

Posted Aug 09, 2022 05:55 AM
    apologies forgot to mention this currently is a version 6 controller deployment.

• 3.  RE: Moving from a controller network to Aruba Central
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 09, 2022 06:30 AM
    The JW797A is AP-315 Campus AP, so it will not run in Instant mode. And I don't think there is an option to check from the controller what the exact model is.

If you have Central already, you can add the serial + MAC addresses of your APs (or one of them; get them with the command: show ap database long) to Central and see the exact model/type from there.

You may consider moving your APs to AOS10 in Central, which is what the ap convert command is for. However, as far as I know you need a controller running AOS8.6 or higher to use that command. And only do that after consulting your Aruba Partner and/or Aruba Support.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 4.  RE: Moving from a controller network to Aruba Central

Posted Aug 09, 2022 09:19 AM
    Thank you for the reply. I have found out how to identify if they are an IAP or CAP AP based on this link:
    https://community.arubanetworks.com/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MID=18788

On a side note, with Aruba AOS 10 is that going to be fully cloud managed? Is Aruba going to offer AOS 10 as a controller solution as well?
    In my point of view I do not like it as fully cloud managed or even using it as gateways. 

What is Cisco doing with this ? Are they maintaining their Meraki Cloud Solution and still offering a controller solution?

• 5.  RE: Moving from a controller network to Aruba Central

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Aug 10, 2022 03:43 AM
    Hi Danger,

You can use Aruba Central AOS10 with or without physical controllers. The controllers are called "gateways" now.
    The way how it works is a little different.

With AOS10 Gateways (controllers) one or more SSID can by tunneled to a centralized gateway and RADIUS authentications will be handled by the gateway controllers. But on the Gateways you will only see tunnels, roles and policies. All wifi client stuff (802.11) is in the access points, all central managed with Aruba Central.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2022 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opinions are my own

• 6.  RE: Moving from a controller network to Aruba Central

Posted Aug 10, 2022 10:25 AM
    Can you confirm if on the controllers any licenses are required?
    What happens with the PEFNG, AP and RFP license when migrating to AOS 10?
    I may be mistaken but AOS 10 does not require those licenses and the only license requirement is the ones in Central. Is that correct?
    Customers see that they have previously invested in those licenses and cannot take them with them to another version. With V6 to V8 migrations we moved the V6 licenses to V8 with the help of Aruba licensing team. This helped reduce the cost to the end customer. I do not think it is possible in AOS 10 as those licenses are not used as that is completely different architecture. Please let me know if I am wrong?

I have seen customers move to other vendors, I personally see a lot of customers moving to other vendors because they do not like AOS10 architecture and them losing their original licensing they invested in.

• 7.  RE: Moving from a controller network to Aruba Central

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Aug 10, 2022 11:42 AM

Thats correct, AOS10 is a total new cloud-based platform and not the same as AOS8 controller-base systems. Aruba Central don't have any AP,PEF,RFP,etc. licenses.

Aruba Central have one device subscription per AP and have two forms "foundation" and "advanced". For gateway and controllers there are only "foundation" subscriptions per device and this subscriptions have to match with the device type (cx6200 have other subscriptions as a CX8300 or gateway). For gateways there is an option with or without SD-Branch.

See this link for more info https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/central/latest/content/nms/subscriptions/overview-licensing.htm

There is no refund program for your existing AOS8 controller-based licenses but you can contact your HPE Aruba Partner to see if something is possible. This will also depends on the age of the licenses.

On the other side of the story is that Aruba Central as Cloud-Based solution is centralized, flexible, and will lower your overall management cost. No more Airwave or Mobility Master to keep running and maintained, less power consumption, less resources claimed on your hypervisor farm, updates are much easier/faster . And daily management will be much more easy even as deployment cost.

Noted that TAC support is includes in the Aruba Central device subscriptions, no more need for yearly renew your AP,PEF,RFP support packages.

• 8.  RE: Moving from a controller network to Aruba Central

Posted Aug 10, 2022 12:26 PM
    Thank you this makes sense.

• 9.  RE: Moving from a controller network to Aruba Central

Posted Jan 22, 2024 10:33 AM

I managed to migrate Aruba Controller managed AP (CampAP) to Aruba Central.  
    Aruba Controller 7205 AOS 8, with AP 365 JX966A.
    Make sure you are accessing Aruba Controller, not Aruba Conductor.
    Here is my steps
    1. On Aruba Central -> Devices, click "Add Devices" to add the AP.
    2. On Aruba Central click Maintenance -> Access Point -> Convert to instance mode.  
       Select the AP, then click "Convert to Intant mode" button.
    3. Wait for 20-30 mins, the AP will convert to IAP, and then join Aruba Central.  
    Hope that helps to those who struggle to migrate AP to Aruba Central.