Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Moving Virtual Mobility Conductor to new instance - impact to connected MD's and sites.

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  Moving Virtual Mobility Conductor to new instance - impact to connected MD's and sites.

Posted 26 days ago

Good morning all,

A challenge has arisen where we are required to move our virtual conductor from one data centre to another. I want to fully understand the process and implications to the managed estate when doing this.

The virtual environments may not be the same but I would presume that a VM Snapshot would be more encompassing than a backup and restore of the conductor only in a new vm environment?

The IP of the MC will remain the same and we may be able to control routing at certain sites to cut them over one at a time. 

The main questions are:

The effect on service - I expect AP's will remain up and service will not be affected at sites but no changes can be made to the MD's while the Conductor is offline, that's fine. 

Does a backup and restore of the Conductor keep the config ID between the MC and MDs be kept the same at a restore or would this change causing all the MDs to pull down a new config with any impact?

The concern is sites will be impacted when they reconnect to the Conductor in its new environment and what items need to be backed up to ensure a like for like restore.

Thanks in advance.

C

• 2.  RE: Moving Virtual Mobility Conductor to new instance - impact to connected MD's and sites.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 26 days ago

Turn off the virtual appliance and then copy/move the entire VM to the new site.  Validate network settings are correct and power on.

You can create a flashbackup of the MCR prior to taking the VM down.

The MDs will not be impacted by the move, assuming this is done relatively quickly.  Some processes that are centralied (e.g., AirGroup) can be impacted while the MCR is down.

------------------------------
    Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110
    ------------------------------