Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.

MSM720 - Authorized client associated to an unauthorized device detected.

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  MSM720 - Authorized client associated to an unauthorized device detected.

Posted Jun 24, 2022 09:18 AM
    Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right place for my post.  It is about a HP MSM720 controller with MSM560 APs.

We get the following warnings and do not exactly know where they come from and what they mean and how to find the reason and how to get rid of them:

Type:  Authorized client mis-association
    Description:  Authorized client (mac='68:57:2D:28:34:7A') associated to an unauthorized device detected. BSSID: (mac='8C:DC:D4:32:6C:1D'), Band: (value='2.4GHz'), Classification: (value='Rogue'), SNRs: (value='D4:C9:EF:E3:64:F9,17;D4:C9:EF:E3:C3:13,15;D4:C9:EF:E3:42:FD,14;').
    Probable cause:  An authorized client has associated to an unauthorized device.
    Recommended action: 
    Locate offending client and inform user of company policy violation.

All I can say is that we have 3 SSIDs in VLAN 1, 55 and 66 and the SSIDs (VSCs) are all bound to all AP groups.  So there should be no way for a client to be accociated to an unauthorized device.  And there seem to be no specific clients showing these warnings, it seems to be for many, many and different clients.

Why should a client be able to mis-associate?  Why should there be any unauthorized devices (I believe the message means an unauthorized AP).  And why should a client be able to associate to an unauthorized device?

I cannot find a description of the warning on the internet.  Does anyone in this forum know what this warning means, how to find the reason and what to do to get rid of these warnings?

Thanks a lot,
    P.