Aruba Airwave

View Only
last person joined: 7 days ago 

Expand all | Collapse all

Multiple Airwave servers and multiple MD clusters, all devices appear down

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  Multiple Airwave servers and multiple MD clusters, all devices appear down

Posted Mar 16, 2023 06:01 PM

We're in the process of tidying up our Aruba infrastructure:
    9000 APs, 3 managed clusters, 3 Airwave servers, Glass.

Rationalising APs to be on the correct cluster is progressing fine (whitelist-db, specify the new group, the LMS on the group sorts it out). Exporting maps with APs located from the 'wrong' Airwave to the 'correct' Airwave seems to be going fine (one cluster is now intended to be mapped on one Airwave server - not the situation we're in at the moment).

But I've not managed to make the APs come up in Airwave. It can only be related to my attempt to tidy up the SNMP config (several different users, and community strings, when only one is needed).

The green marker below represents the SNMP2 community string - it's the same everywhere - MC level, MD level, and in the 3 AW servers.

I tried SNMP3 user too, but have now removed those details from the AW screen clip as that didn't work either. I can't spot what's wrong with something that I thought was going to be such a straightforward change.

I tried to make sense of snmpwalk on the AW CLI but totally failed to figure out syntax to allow me to walk one of the controllers from AW.

The scan sets allow me to discover the Mobility Conductor and the controllers, but after that I'm stuck.

Can anyone offer any suggestions that will make APs and controllers come into the up state? 

Thanks for looking.

------------------------------
    Nathan

• 2.  RE: Multiple Airwave servers and multiple MD clusters, all devices appear down

Posted Mar 27, 2023 10:47 AM

This problem turned out to be unfathomable! The controllers had been discovered by scan sets, and no amount of changes of what was already 'known' worked. In the end I deleted everything to do with scanning on the Device Setup>Discover page, filled in the details in the Communication>Aruba page for community string, SSH and SNMPv3, deleted the controllers that the Airwave instance knew about, and added them back manually, and I only added controllers that were required to report to the specific Airwave instance - so one Airwave only knows about one cluster.

I'm not quite out-of-the-woods because a small number of APs keep showing up in the wrong Airwave instance, when their AP Group is handled by a cluster that reports to a different Airwave instance. I find it weird that most APs report to the correct Airwave, but these stragglers don't. 'show ap details ap-name .......' shows the AP to be in the correct group, but that doesn't seem to matter.

Fortunately none of this affects service.

Still a lot of admin left to do with this re-shuffle.

Nathan