Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Multiple network profiles (2.4, 5.0, 6 GHz): same ESSID

This thread has been viewed 33 times
  • 1.  Multiple network profiles (2.4, 5.0, 6 GHz): same ESSID

Posted Nov 17, 2022 02:10 AM
    Hello,

we would like to use one single SSID (eduroam) with 3 different network profile on Aruba Instant cluster (ArubaOS 8.10 on AP-5xx, AP-6xx), i.e. basically

• profile eduroam-2.4 GHz
      • For all older clients
      • ESSID eduroam, WPA2-Enterprise, High efficiency disabled
    • profile eduroam-5.0GHz
      • ESSID eduroam, WPA2-Enterprise, High efficiency enabled
    • profile eduroam-6GHz
      • ESSID eduroam, WPA3-Enterprise

Should this in general be possible?

• 2.  RE: Multiple network profiles (2.4, 5.0, 6 GHz): same ESSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 17, 2022 06:10 AM
    It is not a good practice to have the same SSID with different opmodes (wpa2 vs. wpa3), so it would not be practical to have Eduroam broadcasting the same SSID for 2.4/5ghz and 6ghz.  6ghz requires WPA3.

On the client, you would have to choose either wpa2 or wpa3 for that device's Eduroam SSID when it is configured.  That would mean it could only connect to 2.4 and 5 OR 6ghz successfully depending on the opmode you choose.

I hope that makes sense.

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 3.  RE: Multiple network profiles (2.4, 5.0, 6 GHz): same ESSID

Posted Nov 17, 2022 06:28 AM
    Dear Josef,
    thank you very much for your reply.

In a perfect world,
    • all of users would have current clients only with up to date firmwares and drivers
    • all drivers would support WPA3 enterprise without any problems
    • all drivers would never have any problems with 802.11k, 802.11w, 802.11r, ...
    Unfortunately we have a campus, so in reality I need something else:

1.  a profile with SSID "eduroam" on 2.4 GHz,
      • without High efficiency enabled, so older clients actually "see" the 802.11ax frames,
      • without 802.11k, 802.11r and without 802.11w
      • with WPA2-Enterprise
    2. a profile with SSID "eduroam" on 5.0 GHz,
      • with High efficieny enabled, so more current clients could benefit from 802.11ax. I do not want to disable High Efficiency.
      • still with WPA2-Enterprise as there are connectivity problems if WPA3 enterprise is enabled, unfortunately.
      • without 802.11k, 802.11r and without 802.11w. Indeed, we see 802.11w problems with current Windows 10 clients.
    3. a profile with SSID "eduroam" on 6 GHz
      • with High efficiency enabled
      • with WPA3-Enterprise at is necessary for WiFi-6E to turn the 6 GHz radio on
      • without 802.11k, 802.11r
    So for me the question remains: Is this in general supported?

• 4.  RE: Multiple network profiles (2.4, 5.0, 6 GHz): same ESSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 17, 2022 06:52 AM
    It is not clear that everything in your post can be configured together and it should be tested. 

Very few devices are capable of WPA2 enterprise and not capable of 5ghz so configuring a 2.4ghz-specific SSID might not be worth doing. 

There are some versions of the Intel Driver that do not work properly with high efficiency and need to be upgraded, so you might end up disabling high efficiency on 5ghz.  Also, very few devices are capable of being configured with MFP or WPA3 on 5ghz, so that is not worth doing on 5ghz.

In the end, you might end up with a plain vanilla eduroam with WPA2-AES on 2.4 and 5ghz with high efficiency and 802.11r disabled (some clients have a problem with 802.11r).  You would also have a seprate eduroam6 SSID on 6ghz.

What is "supported" usually takes a back seat to what works with uncontrolled clients.  Having a good starting point and a lab to test all clients is the best approach.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 5.  RE: Multiple network profiles (2.4, 5.0, 6 GHz): same ESSID

Posted Nov 17, 2022 07:55 AM
    So I tested with different settings and it actually doesn´t work. It doesn´t matter which Key Management (WPA2 and/or WPA3) I use, the radio won´t be powered up at all as soon as I use the same ESSID; i.e. the network profile do no reach active state.
    show network

• 6.  RE: Multiple network profiles (2.4, 5.0, 6 GHz): same ESSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 17, 2022 09:19 AM
    There are some combinations of configurations that are limited by the hardware.  Other limitations are prevented through the software checking the configuration and indicating an error.  There are so many permutations, sometimes only testing in the lab allows us to find out exactly what those limitations are.