Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Mysterious open wifi appeared and can't be deleted.

This thread has been viewed 19 times
  • 1.  Mysterious open wifi appeared and can't be deleted.

Posted 16 days ago

Hi, all,

after establishing two new working Wifi-SSIDs (employee profile) on our Aruba 7205 controller suddenly another SSID named "auruba-ap" as an open Wifi appeared. 

After connecting to this SSID, the client receives an IP-address out of the same network from the accesspoints IP-scope.

Neither was this SSID administratively created nor its listed in the SSIDs. 

After a detailed search for this SSID we found some entries at configuration > system > profiles > 802.1x Authentication (which we don't use) / AAA / Virtual AP and deleted them. The wifi name was not mentioned int the menu SSID.

Also we deleted all entries from the configuration in the CLI regarding to te SSID. But the SSID is still transmitted with the other ones and machine can connect to it. 

Trying to establish a wifi SSID with the same name ended up in the message > Error: Duplicate ESSID "aruba-ap" <.

Are there any other places to look for to get rid of this wifi?

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: Mysterious open wifi appeared and can't be deleted.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 16 days ago

I've seen sometimes during initialization/boot of APs that they shortly broadcast the aruba-ap SSID, but it should go away very quickly if the APs can communicate to the controller.

Can you check the 'show ap bss-table' from the controller? Does the ssid show up there? If it doesn't, it's not the controller controlling/broadcasting the SSID.

Others may have seen this happen... otherwise it may be best to work with your Aruba partner and or TAC to find out where that broadcasted SSID is coming from.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Mysterious open wifi appeared and can't be deleted.

Posted 15 days ago

Hello Herman,

thanks for your reply.

Yes, the 'show ap bss-table' shows up the > aruba-ap < Wifi on all accesspoints. 

• 4.  RE: Mysterious open wifi appeared and can't be deleted.

Posted 15 days ago
    Hi
    Check

Show wlan virtual-ap

Do any of them show that ssid and enable?

• 5.  RE: Mysterious open wifi appeared and can't be deleted.

Posted 15 days ago

Hi VaD,

thanks for your question. The SSID is not mentioned at the virtual ap profile list.

• 6.  RE: Mysterious open wifi appeared and can't be deleted.

Posted 15 days ago
    Hi 
    Or in any ssid profile?

• 7.  RE: Mysterious open wifi appeared and can't be deleted.

Posted 15 days ago

No. It does not appear in any other menu.

I was searching the running-config of the WLC and nowhere I found the wifi-name "aruba-ap". I'm concerned about that this is an open wifi using the network/VLAN where the accesspoints are located in. 

Fortunately it's not possible to get a  connection to the internet, but the WLC homepage is accessible (to the world).