Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Netedit free nodes in Version 2.xx?

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  Netedit free nodes in Version 2.xx?

Posted 20 days ago
    Hello dear members,

we are toying with the idea of purchasing HPE Aruba Networking CX 6100 switches. Are 25 switches (nodes) still included for free in the current Aruba_NetEdit_2.10.0 version?

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

• 2.  RE: Netedit free nodes in Version 2.xx?

Posted 20 days ago

i wouldnt hit a mutt in the butt with these switches.
    Aruba went FULL cisco, with arcane configuration, disabling of telnet and other dumb moves that are too numerous to mention.
    If you are a large shop and have time money and patience to retrain all of you staff to the Aruba way, then by all means get them.  but if you are like me with a small show and limited human resources to do all that then i would suggest you take a pass.

This is just my 2 cents... your mileage may vary

• 3.  RE: Netedit free nodes in Version 2.xx?

Posted 19 days ago

>Aruba went FULL cisco, with arcane configuration

Wait, what's "arcane" about Cisco's syntax?  Just about every other vendor out there implements their syntax or something really close to it.  I've been a Procurve guy for 25 years and, I had no problem moving to CX.

>disabling of telnet and other dumb moves

...I have difficulty putting "disabling telnet" in the "dumb moves" bucket.  And, if you're that dead set on being insecure, just turn it back on?

• 4.  RE: Netedit free nodes in Version 2.xx?
    Best Answer

Posted 20 days ago

The switches are great.  I love the new CX line.  I have a small shop with limited people and run almost exclusively 6200's in my environment.  They work great.

NetEdit still comes with 25 free licenses and it's not a hard limit.  If you go over that number it'll continue functioning, you'll just be out of compliance if HPE ever audits you.

• 5.  RE: Netedit free nodes in Version 2.xx?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 19 days ago

The additional NetEdit lics are not that expensive at all and it brings you in compliance with an end-user license agreement (EULA)

------------------------------
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.
    ------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Netedit free nodes in Version 2.xx?

Posted 19 days ago

I reread my previous post and realized that it sounded like I was advocating for running NetEdit on as many nodes as you want without actually purchasing licenses.  That's not at all what I meant.  I only mentioned it because if you're demoing it or there is a delay between installing hardware and getting licenses sorted out it will continue to function.  I completely agree that the licenses are not expensive and we should all be in compliance with the EULA.  I really appreciate the approach Aruba has taken on this and I hope they continue this model. That's one of the reasons why I always make sure to have the right licenses.  If you're looking for a major difference between Aruba and Cisco, this is it!

• 7.  RE: Netedit free nodes in Version 2.xx?

Posted 19 days ago

Thank you all for your answers.