Community Feedback

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

How is the community doing? Do you have any questions or feedback related for the Airheads Community team? This is the place to let us know.
Expand all | Collapse all

New Network Topology

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  New Network Topology

Posted Feb 29, 2024 02:16 PM

Good Day All,

We recently moved from individual ISP connections to one 1G circuit to fan out to all the locations on our installation. Originally each location had its own VC and we could manage the swarm for each accordingly. Now we have only one VC and if we reboot the swarm we are rebooting 60+ APs. Not the ideal network management we want. What is the best way to separate each building so that we can manage them better? I was looking at Groups but the explanations for them is to group like items for configurations. I did setup a Site (which is pretty cool how it maps it) and added the switch and APs for that building but not sure where to go from there.

For a little more background, we went with Central and Aruba IAPs so we could hit the ground running and we really didn't make many configuration changes from the default.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

------------------------------
    Barry Radeka
    Marine Corps Community Services South Carolina
    CIO

• 2.  RE: New Network Topology

Posted Feb 29, 2024 04:25 PM

Hey Barry,

Based on my limited knowledge of your environment, I think you are on the right track.

In the current Central architecture you would "Group" together devices of similar configuration

So if you have IAPs with all the same WLAN and RF configurations, they could go all in the same Group (regardless of their geo location)

Then you could create a "Site" design, such that you could monitor and report on the devices at a particular location. 

It is also worth noting that the Configuration architecture will be changing for the better in the New Central, to allow for more granular level of configuration, while still managing at a high level. 

If my post was useful, please Accept Solution and Give Kudos.
    Zak Chalupka
    Principal Engineer - HPE Aruba
    ACDX | ACMP | ACSP | ACCP
    wifizak@hpe.com
    Ideas expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE Aruba.

• 3.  RE: New Network Topology

Posted Mar 01, 2024 01:54 PM

Hey Zak,

So I set up all my different buildings as sites, all 47. What would be the best way to have a Virtual Controller at each site? Would I just set up a different VLAN for each site? The end goal is to have the ability to reboot the site swarm rather than the entire swarm.

Thanks!

Barry Radeka
    Marine Corps Community Services - South Carolina
    CIO

• 4.  RE: New Network Topology

Posted Mar 01, 2024 02:04 PM

You are running an 8.x code correct?

Zak Chalupka
    wifizak@hpe.com

• 5.  RE: New Network Topology

Posted Mar 04, 2024 09:11 AM

Yes, if you are referring to the firmware, we are on 8.11.X on all but two odd ball APs

Barry Radeka

• 6.  RE: New Network Topology

Posted Mar 04, 2024 10:57 AM

Just wanted to double check. 

Yes, you are correct. A separate L2 Domain (Subnet/VLAN) per site. In general that is the standard method for building a Virtual Controller based IAP Swarm Cluster. 

Zak Chalupka
    wifizak@hpe.com