Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Obtaining mac address of device conected to an ethernet port on a RAP

This thread has been viewed 25 times
  • 1.  Obtaining mac address of device conected to an ethernet port on a RAP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jul 27, 2022 08:34 AM
    Hi,
     (ArubaOS 6.5 btw)

We have a  RAP with some enabled  wired ethernet ports  with no authentication configuted. The ports are tied to the same vlan  wifi users use.

I need to find the mac address of any client connected to the RAP ethernet ports.

As we're not doing any auth what so ever,  can't see anything  on the GUI that shows me the mac address of devices connected to ports on a specific RAP

Is there something in the CLI that would do it?

Rgds
    Alex

• 2.  RE: Obtaining mac address of device conected to an ethernet port on a RAP

MVP
    Posted Jul 29, 2022 10:06 AM
    I have not been able to find a way to do this. It would be nice to have a command to display the wired mac address of a device per hospitality port. The closest I can come is displaying a list of all learned wired mac-addresses (still doesn't tell you what port they are found on). You can try the cmd below, this works in 8.x not sure if it works in 6.x

show ap monitor wired-mac ap-name <ap-name> enet-mac

• 3.  RE: Obtaining mac address of device conected to an ethernet port on a RAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 29, 2022 11:54 AM
    One other option is to make the RAP port untrusted, set the initial role to authenticated, and not enable any authentication (unless needed). In that way the client will show up in the user-table.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.
    ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Obtaining mac address of device conected to an ethernet port on a RAP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jul 29, 2022 03:34 PM
    What a good idea , many thanks
    A

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: Obtaining mac address of device conected to an ethernet port on a RAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 09, 2022 10:35 PM
    you can also use  show datapath bridge ap-name <the ap>

Note the device number of the eth port in question (table in the upper section of the output) and then re-run the command filtering by devX,
    e.g. say eth3 is dev6 then use 'show datapath bridge ap-name <the ap> | include dev6----,MAC'

• 6.  RE: Obtaining mac address of device conected to an ethernet port on a RAP

MVP
    Posted Aug 10, 2022 09:46 AM
    This does not work for me (running 8.9.0.3). I only see bond0 and br0 in the table (and not eth1 as I expect)
    I confirmed the 303H I am testing this against has a wired device plugged in, and Airwaves also shows the wired port as up.

• 7.  RE: Obtaining mac address of device conected to an ethernet port on a RAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 10, 2022 10:12 AM

it will work for bridge and split tunnel, but you're right not for tunnel mode.

try the following for tunneled enet ports from the controller CLI

a. find the tunnel ids for that RAP's enet tunnels
    b. dump the bridge table filtering by tunnel ids from a> above

e.g.
    1) show datapath tunnel | include <ip of the ap>       (for RAP use the inner ip not outer)

2) note the tunnels with 'type' (5th column) values starting with 81xx, e.g. 8130 is the 3rd enet port

2609 14.11.12.13 10.1.1.2 47 8130 1300

3) now dump the bridge table filtering by tunnel id
    show datapath bridge | include 2609

if you dig out multiple ids for the same AP, separate them by comma, e.g.

show datapath bridge | include 2609,4533,1234

• 8.  RE: Obtaining mac address of device conected to an ethernet port on a RAP

MVP
    Posted Aug 10, 2022 12:39 PM
    Correct I am running in tunneled mode. But this other method worked! Thanks so much for detailing this!