Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Optimize IAP 205 for 2.4Ghz

This thread has been viewed 30 times
  • 1.  Optimize IAP 205 for 2.4Ghz

Posted Oct 24, 2022 05:00 PM
    Hi,

I have cluster of 5 IAP 205's. I have two SSID's, one with 2.4 and 5Ghz and one IoT 2.4Ghz only. I notice that some devices on the IoT SSID are having stability issues. I think I have set all as optimum as possible, but I would appreciate it if  someone can review my config.

We have multiple RingStickupCam, and those seem to be the most problematic. The 6d one has fairly good signal and speed but we cant have a stable ping to the device.

Ping to RingStickupCam-6d

Are there any issues with my config? Is there anything else what could be cause this instability?

Help is much appriciated! Regards,
    Bastiaan

• 2.  RE: Optimize IAP 205 for 2.4Ghz

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 25, 2022 04:56 AM
    What is the reported channel utilization on the 2.4GHz?
    What are the by ARM selected channels and power for the APs?
    Do you have broadcast filtering enabled?
    You may try to enable 11d/h, some devices work better with that.
    Is it just the ringcam that's giving issues?
    What firmware version do you run? Have you upgraded to the latest already?
    What is the distance between the device and the AP? You may try to increase the 2.4GHz power to see if that makes the connection better. 57 Mbps link speed can be quite low, depending on the device specifications. Your shelly's report 72 Mbps which seems like the maximum they support.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: Optimize IAP 205 for 2.4Ghz

Posted Oct 27, 2022 04:48 AM
    Hi Herman,

Here are the anwsers to your questions:
    1) They are farely high: 69, 68, 66, 25 and 19% while 5Ghz is around 1%.
    2) They are ARM assigned, so not fixed.
    3) Yes, ARP only.
    4) Ok, will test with this and report back later.
    5) Well, all 2.4 have overage problems but the ringscam's are the most affected. But they are ussaly around the border of coverage.
    6) Running the latest, 6.5.4.24 but had this problems at previous versions.
    7) I have experimented with higher power gains, the signal and speed increased but the packets drops stayed the same. It did not help.

Thanks!

• 4.  RE: Optimize IAP 205 for 2.4Ghz

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 31, 2022 09:26 AM
    With 60-70% of channel busy, you can expect all kinds of issues. Getting the speeds up may help (higher power, better clients) as then it will take less time to transmit. You should find out where that channel busy is coming from. Are these high numbers on the same channel?

Can you bring the ringcameras closer to the AP? Or the AP closer to the ringcams? Clients that are on the coverage border, especially if these are pushing a lot of (like video) data, can be expected to be problematic for the full network performance. Or can the camera's run on 5GHz?

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 5.  RE: Optimize IAP 205 for 2.4Ghz

Posted Nov 02, 2022 04:49 AM
    The high utilization is only on channel 6, when I change the AP to a other channel the utilization drops. What could cause this high channel utilization on channel 6, is this due to high interferrenace in this frequency range?

We did bring a AP in meters distance of the camera's, it did improve but still we had occasional packet drops which we dont see with other 2.4Ghz devices.

Unfortunately this Ring camera model can only talk 2.4Ghz.

I have enabled 11d/h and this seem to improve the stability. I think the high utilization on channel 6 could be a root cause of this issue do you perhaps have some quidance in troubleshooting this?

• 6.  RE: Optimize IAP 205 for 2.4Ghz

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 08, 2022 09:51 AM
    Quality/performance on 2.4GHz is quite poor in most cases, that is why 5GHz is preferred. Channel utilization can be WiFi-rx, WiFi-tx or non-wifi (intereference). The command 'show ap arm rf-summary' will give you a table of those parameters for all channels.

Then at least you can see which category the channel utilization comes from. It could be that you have another interferer in 2.4GHz.

With the default settings, ARM/Radio Auto, the AP should determine the optimal channel automatically, but if you have heavy users, it may be hard on 2.4GHz as there are only 3x 20MHz channels to pick from.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------