Wired

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Expand all | Collapse all

POE+ max power

This thread has been viewed 19 times
  • 1.  POE+ max power

Posted Jan 24, 2024 09:09 AM

We have a number of computers that are simply powered by a POE connection. The devices are based on laptop internals and have a POE module that extracts the power for the devices. This has worked flawlessly for several years but lately we see some devices power off and then boot at moments when they seem to be "busy". The funny thing is, the computers normally use the most power when booting and that is no problem. It is sometimes during software install when suddenly the device goes dark and then boots.

What I want to know is:

1) Is there a log of how much power a port uses that I can look into? So far I have only been able to find real-time info but that shows zero power once the machines goes down. I need to know what happened just before.

2) The switches we use for this are the 2930F POE+ switches. As the computers supposedly only need a POE device, the POE+ switch should be able to supply plenty of power. Is there a way to set the port to always allow that maximum of power? Simply a static setting that is independent of the device type.

Right now I am only guessing the problem is a too high request for power, if you know of any way to better find the root cause then please let me know.

• 2.  RE: POE+ max power

MVP GURU
    Posted Jan 26, 2024 06:53 AM

Is power being negotiated over LLDP and using LLDP-MED. It should automatically be negotiated.

------------------------------
    Dustin Burns

Lead Mobility Engineer @Worldcom Exchange, Inc.

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2022-2023
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: POE+ max power

Posted Jan 29, 2024 04:40 AM

I just found out that LLDP-MED is disabled, I thought it was enabled by default. But it seems the ports are now set to 

interface 17
       power-over-ethernet high
       poe-allocate-by class
       exit

I do not know whether this was the end result of some more experimenting to get rid of the problem or if we did this on purpose. On the other sites where we have similar equipment I just have the high priority.

I guess I need to do something with 

lldp config <port-list> dot3TlvEnable poeplus_config

and see if that helps.