Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Policy Based Routing

This thread has been viewed 30 times
  • 1.  Policy Based Routing

Posted Mar 16, 2023 01:51 AM

Hi Everyone,

Imagine a scenario an incoming packet received by a layer 3 switch ,based on routing table the packet forwarding decision is done. I would like to know  that packet processing is done at CPU level or cache based forwarding or any algorithm .(considering routing table as well as policy based routing)

I appreciate your response in advance.

Cheers ,

Santhosh

• 2.  RE: Policy Based Routing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 16, 2023 05:11 AM

Hi Santosh,

EDIT: Sorry, I missed your point about PBR and that you ask about PBR in particular. The answer then will depend what platform we are talking about, as different platforms may have different way of forwarding through PBR.

------------------------------
    Ivan Bondar

• 3.  RE: Policy Based Routing

Posted Mar 16, 2023 05:29 AM

Thanks Ivan_B for your response. Shall I conclude that ARP entries are based on memory provide by ASIC. What does no fancy options in IP header(Is it QOS parameter)?

• 4.  RE: Policy Based Routing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 16, 2023 12:07 PM

Hi Santosh,

I have edited my initial response, please, check.

About IPv4 options - I mean these - https://www.iana.org/assignments/ip-parameters/ip-parameters.xhtml If a packet has IP option/-s in its header, such packet is punted to the CPU. But it is not relevant for your question, I believe what you want do find out is something like 'Does PBR work in software or hardware?' or 'Does PBR provide line-rate forwarding?' Correct me if I am wrong :) But if I got you right, then you need to specify the particular model of Aruba switch you are asking about, as implementation of PBR may differ between platforms.

Ivan Bondar

• 5.  RE: Policy Based Routing

Posted Mar 16, 2023 01:19 PM

Hi Ivan_B,

Yes . You are right. I would like to know how packet processing works in terms of PBR?

If you need model no. I would prefer 6400 and 6300 series as they mentioned in Labs. And the IANA link informative one.

• 6.  RE: Policy Based Routing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 16, 2023 02:15 PM

If you configure PBR properly so 'nexthop' will be reachable (it's monitored every 5 seconds) and a packet won't require any additional processing, the packet will follow PBR hardware path, e.g. will be switched in ASIC at line rate.

Ivan Bondar