Network Management

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Port security, and connecting new devices

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Port security, and connecting new devices

Posted Sep 21, 2022 11:35 AM
    On the 2390F, I have port security enabled.  I'm going to make this port into a trunk port so I can connect another switch to it.
    The new hosts that I'll be connecting are, a managed switch, AP.  But i'll also be connecting some serial-WiFi adapters.

I'm trying to decide what's a good option.  Should I add each new hosts one by one as I'm connecting them or disable port-security, and may be use the 'sticky' feature?  Or is there a way to keep the connected devices on the port-security, and excluded WiFi hosts?

• 2.  RE: Port security, and connecting new devices

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 21, 2022 05:42 PM
    Hi, I don't enter the "port security" part of your post BUT I want to be sure that with "trunk" word you mean links aggregation (On Aruba 2930F - ArubaOS-Switch operating system driven - the term "trunk" refers to links aggregation = Port Trunk = EtherChannel if you're coming from Cisco-like experiences)...that's to say that to just connect to a peer switch you don't need a "trunk" port (and you don't need for sure to setup a links aggregation made with just one single physical link): you CAN use a Port Trunk if you deploy links aggregation between peer switches (generally by using LACP) BUT you can also interconnect peer switches with a single link.

The term "trunk" made me think you want to transport more (tagged) VLANs over that link between peer switches...it means, in Aruba 2930F jargon, to tag VLAN IDs over involved ports and set spanning-tree admin-edge-port true (point-to-point).

• 3.  RE: Port security, and connecting new devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 22, 2022 04:18 AM
    In my view, port security is something you enable on access ports. If you connect another switch, that is not an access port, and you should configure your port security on that switch's access ports.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.
    ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Port security, and connecting new devices

Posted Sep 22, 2022 12:35 PM
    @parnassus
    By trunk I mean by allowing more than 1 VLAN through a port.  I'm used to Netgear.  I don't mean LAG (Link Aggregation)

@Herman Robers
    Yes, this is a 'Trunk' port, as in connecting to another managed switch, and allowing multiple VLANs.​​