Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Prevent weak clients from connecting when no-other AP's are in range

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Prevent weak clients from connecting when no-other AP's are in range

Posted 17 days ago

I'm new on my team and have an issue with a site that is primarily a warehouse, so our AP deployment was only setup over the warehouse floor. The users in the admin office all have wired workstations, including laptops, however every quarter they have a visitor that sets up in a spare room and tries to connect to wifi.

The problem is that the connection SNR is only -92dBm at 802.11b rates, so this frequently causes an escalation. I'd like to know if there's a configuration that will prevent clients from associating to an AP below a particular SNR. I'm hoping this would prevent unwanted clients from connecting to AP's on the edge of coverage.

• 2.  RE: Prevent weak clients from connecting when no-other AP's are in range

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 17 days ago

One option is to remove the lower data rates from your SSID, for example 11 Mbps minimal data rate, and increase your beacon data rate. This assumes that none of your clients require the low data rates and you have strong enough signal within the coverage area. In office-space, removing the lower data rates works quite well, but in warehouses there is different client equipment (IoT/OT like devices), which may not like missing data rates.

Another is to set a probe/auth SNR treshold; which make an AP not respond to a client if the signal is below the threshold.

How to configure depends on your AP deployment type (AOS10, Instant, Controller, third-party).

Both strategies need testing, and may have negative side effects. If you find issues, you can balance out the positive and negative effects.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.
    ------------------------------