Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Provisioning AP-515s

This thread has been viewed 32 times
  • 1.  Provisioning AP-515s

Posted Jul 29, 2022 05:21 PM

This is a headscratcher for me. So i put together a staging area for new APs. It's a 1x 6300M smart rate switch, all default config (vlan 1 everywhere), hooked up to another switch in Prod that has our AP vlan. I hooked up a few APs out of the box to the staging area (mix of 565 and 515) and to my surprise it worked! The controller saw all of them, IP addresses were assigned, sw updated, etc. However, when i put another batch in, none were detected this time. There 2 green lights on the APs so my guess is it's gone IAP. It's weird that the first batch (same box of 10) didn't do this, no?

Currently I have 310 active APs running 8.7.1-9. It's a mix of AP-315s mostly. I'm not at capacity as far as APs go. There are 2x 7210's as controllers. I don't have a console cable for the new APs unfortunately and my CLI skills is very rudimentary. Can someone shed light on what's going on here? How can I make sure that the APs look for the controllers first before going on IAP?

• 2.  RE: Provisioning AP-515s

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 30, 2022 04:36 PM
    What discovery method are you using?  Are the access points to be converted on the same VLAN as the 7210 controllers?  Type "show log system 50" on either controller and see if there are any errors.

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 3.  RE: Provisioning AP-515s

Posted Aug 01, 2022 12:15 PM
    They go to a different vlan from the controllers'.

I still need to wrap my head around the tech and also how it's laid out in the company. It's just weird that it worked for a few and then it didn't on some. I was hoping i could get the APs to detect the controller since this will be a massive deployment.  I'll probably need to console in and point the APs to the controller IP.

• 4.  RE: Provisioning AP-515s

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 01, 2022 12:19 PM
    If the access points are not on the same VLAN as the controller, they  could use DNS for discovery, where they try to resolve aruba-master.<domain obtained from dhcp>

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 5.  RE: Provisioning AP-515s

Posted Aug 01, 2022 05:28 PM
    This is correct. I have aruba-master in my domain. Still puzzled that some APs found it and some didn't.

• 6.  RE: Provisioning AP-515s

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 01, 2022 05:32 PM
    How long did you wait?

• 7.  RE: Provisioning AP-515s

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 01, 2022 03:35 AM
    Do you have enough licenses on the controllers?

Could it be that one of the APs in your second batch have been configured as Instant AP? If you want to rule that out, add the APs one-by-one while pressing the reset button to get them factory-default. From factory default, check the diagram here for the controller (or Instant) discovery logic.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 8.  RE: Provisioning AP-515s

Posted Aug 01, 2022 11:08 AM
    Thanks for your help! As i mentioned they're all came straight out of the box so no (pre) config was done on my end. If i recall correctly, APs will go on IAP mode if they're unable to locate the controller. Just strange that a few found the controller and the rest didn't. I have more than enough licenses. Thanks for sharing the link. I should get a console cable so I can manually set the server/controller ip.

• 9.  RE: Provisioning AP-515s

Posted Aug 01, 2022 01:37 PM
    The ap is set static ip or dhcp ip at your scenario?
    if you have ip information
    just login into the GUI, and convert the ap to cap mode.

if you don't have console, there's no way to check ap is in what mode.

also, 565 and 515 is UAP AP, maybe you can wait about 5 miniute, the ap will turn to cap mode, if they can communicate the controller
    if not, just login to them and convert it. (you need have ap ip information.)

if ap in iap mode, just make sure they are all in the cluster, then turn them to cap. it will easy make them join controller together.

• 10.  RE: Provisioning AP-515s

Posted Aug 01, 2022 02:18 PM
    the APs are straight out of the box, so whatever default config it has. the ones that the controller discovered all got dhcp addresses. i remember at least one IAP did get a dhcp address as well. it's inconsistent at least in the first box (of 10 APs) i've opened. 

it looks like i may have to log in (or console) to those that go into IAP but it'll be cumbersome since we're talking ~300 APs here, unless there's a more viable fix.

• 11.  RE: Provisioning AP-515s

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 01, 2022 03:54 PM
    It takes from 8 to 15 minutes each AP depending.  Just do a "show ap database" on the destination controller to monitor.