Security

View Only
last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Question regarding the communication between AP, clearpass and Guest clients

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  Question regarding the communication between AP, clearpass and Guest clients

Posted May 24, 2023 05:01 PM

Hello everyone
    I just got a client which have the managment port and data port configured

It seems they configured the data port to separate the guest traffic like in a DMZ

So it goes like this:

The Clearpass has managmetn  port on network X which has access to everything  which is the managment vlan 
    And the clearpass has network port  on network Y which  has no access to anything

Network Y is routed by the firewall which just let it goes to the  internet

In the controller with aruba AOS 8 
    They have the trunks for the internal networks 
    And they have ONE port that connect to the firewall with that Vlan Y with the network Y 
    That vlan Y has an IP on that vlan Y

So everything works fine right now 

We have to migrate their aos8 to aos10 and they will be on bridge mode this guest vlan because we will have no controller
    They can tag that vlan Y to the APs with no issue.

Will this still work?? i cannot put a IP on that vlan Y in my group of instant AP that will be on the cloud with aruba os 10, i will just have my managment vlan 

The user connects the the VLAN Y, it gets an ip address and it goes to captiveportal.domain.com when it gets authenticated im not sure if the guest user needs to see the Instant which is on the vlan Y with an ip address to make it work.   Right now the controllers they have got ips address on that vlan which has no access to anything, they just have access to the clearpass on the data port and to the clients i guess

Im not sure if it will work by just tagging the vlan Y to all the APs and even if the guest users dont have access to the any IP of the aps it will work fine.
    Im not sure if im explained it fine?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Question regarding the communication between AP, clearpass and Guest clients

Posted May 25, 2023 07:43 AM

Yeah this should work just fine.  You don't need an IP in VLAN Y on the AP, you just need it trunked to the AP.