Security

View Only
last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Replacing ClearPass Publisher

This thread has been viewed 25 times
  • 1.  Replacing ClearPass Publisher

Posted 15 days ago

My customer have an issue in publisher storage and wants to spin-up a new virtual machine to replace the current publisher. The cluster includes a publisher and subscriber and I am looking for the smoothest way for this replacement. I am testing the process in my lab and I noticed that when restoring the publisher backup into a different machine in my lab some components are not restored like:

• IP addresses
    • Certificates
    • licenses
    • AD Domain
    • Passwords for admin and appadmin accounts

Is this the expected behavior? what other components are not restored and I need to migrate manually?

If I select to restore cluster setup and configured appadmin password to match the old publisher, does the subscriber join the cluster even if I restore the publisher in a different machine? 

Do you have any suggested procedure to make this replacement smooth with minimum interruption? 

• 2.  RE: Replacing ClearPass Publisher

Posted 15 days ago

Hi

This is expected behavior.

Instead of performing a restore just install the new host, either on new IP or same IP as the old publisher, and join the cluster. During the cluster join all configuration like admin and appadmin passwords will be copied to the host as part of the cluster sync process. If you plan to use the same IP as the old publisher, move the publisher role to the current subscriber add the new server to the cluster and, if needed, move the publisher role again.

Certificate, license, domain join must be added manually.

If you have configured specific service parameters on the server you need to configure these settings again. Same for IP restrictions done in the Network tab.

Any manual routes added in the CLI msut also be added on the new server.

If all network devices like switches and access points have redundant Radius configuration there shouldn't be any disturbances for the clients. Maybe a few authentications with longer response time.

If you have VIP addresses configured and are using the VIP's for the Radius traffic, you can transfer the VIP from the Publisher to the subscriber, replace the old Publisher node, and when this server is ready just transfer the VIP back to the new server, without any disturbances at all.

------------------------------
    Best Regards
    Jonas Hammarbäck
    MVP Guru 2024, ACEX, ACDX #1600, ACCX #1335, ACX-Network Security, Aruba SME, ACMP, ACSA
    Aranya AB
    If you find my answer useful, consider giving kudos and/or mark as solution

• 3.  RE: Replacing ClearPass Publisher

Posted 10 days ago

I restored previous backup as I need to restore extensions and extension settings. Publisher has few extensions and promoting another node as a publisher and then join the new publisher to the cluster doesn't retain extensions and their parameters.  

• 4.  RE: Replacing ClearPass Publisher

Posted 9 days ago

Hi Jonas , 

We are using the VIP for radius traffic ,could you please brief on transferring the VIP to the subscriber .

Currently we have installed two CPPM(1 Pub and 1 Sub) parellely in 6.11.7 with new IP address . During the upgarde we will plan to change the IP without much downtime.

• 5.  RE: Replacing ClearPass Publisher

Posted 8 days ago

Hi

Can you elaborate what you would like to know regarding moving the VIP address?

It's done from the Virtual IP Settings dialouge under Server Manager/Server Configuration.

So with your current VIP for Radius you just need to set the new server as the primary server for the VIP address.

Best Regards
    Jonas Hammarbäck
    MVP Guru 2024, ACEX, ACDX #1600, ACCX #1335, ACX-Network Security, Aruba SME, ACMP, ACSA
    Aranya AB
    If you find my answer useful, consider giving kudos and/or mark as solution

• 6.  RE: Replacing ClearPass Publisher

Posted 2 days ago

Hi Jonas,

Currently, in our setup, we've got two nodes - the Publisher and Subscriber. The virtual IP is configured, and it's pointing to the Publisher.

In our NAD devices, the Virtual IP is set up for both radius and tacacs traffic, meaning all authentication requests are hitting the Publisher.

Now, following standard practices, it's not recommended for the Publisher to handle authentication exclusively. So, I'm considering redirecting the VIP to the Subscriber.

Before making this change, do you think there might be any potential impact or specific things I should check?

• 7.  RE: Replacing ClearPass Publisher

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 2 days ago

Rather than using the VIP as your target for RADIUS and TACACS+, just define both servers on the network device but set the group or priority or whatever so that the subscriber is the primary target.  That way the network device handles the failover from primary to secondary rather than counting on the VIP to move...and the VIP doesn't care about the RADIUS or TACACS+ service status.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110