Comware

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Expand all | Collapse all

Replacing (upgrading) HPE 5820X with?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Replacing (upgrading) HPE 5820X with?

Posted 15 days ago

Hello,

I have some old HPE 5820X in IRF that I want to replace. It needs to have more than 10 SFP+  and have IRF or other stacking feature. Also need to support Layer3 features (routing/acl/etc).

The ones I found are:

HPE Aruba Networking CX 6300M 24‑port SFP+ and 4‑port SFP56 Switch ( JL658A) 

HPE Networking Comware Switch 24SFP+ 6QSFP+ or 2QSFP28 5710 ( JL587A )

Are there any others? 

Which one would you recommend? 

Thanks in advance!

• 2.  RE: Replacing (upgrading) HPE 5820X with?

Posted 12 days ago

Hi.

Both are very good switches. You can also look at ArubaCX 8100. In some configurations can be cheaper than 6300.

It all depend on your preferences. 5710 has IRF and you are already familiar with Comware. There are differences between Comware 5 and 7, but I found Comware 7 to be easier to manage.

6300 and 8100 are ArubaOS-CX. Very nice OS but quite different from Comware. 

IRF and VSF are similar in being stacking technology so you will have single logical entity to manage. Under the hood are very different (I personally prefer IRF). VSX on 8100 is very different. It's not stacking but clustering technology. It's dual management plain, single L2 data plane and dual L3 - each member is it's own L3 entity. Very advanced features and I like it a lot.

Best, Gorazd   

------------------------------
    Gorazd Kikelj
    MVP Guru 2024
    ------------------------------