Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Roaming and association history questions

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  Roaming and association history questions

MVP
    Posted May 20, 2022 06:11 PM
    Q1: If OKC is disabled in the "802.1x authentication profile," but enabled in the "wlan ssid-profile" - which takes precedence?

Q2: Does roaming from band to band (same SSID) on the same AP require a full 802.1x re-auth? (This would be within an 8.9 cluster, with 802.11r/k not enabled, answer to Q1 above determines if OKC is enabled or not)

Q3: What is the AMP client "association history" showing? Is it the low level 802.11 auth + association, but not necessarily when the client fully roamed to that AP (802.11 auth + association + 802.1x auth)? I ask because comparing my ClearPass access tracker entries, they do not line up with the AMP client association history. The AMP client association history shows more entries than I see in access tracker when testing roaming with my test client. So for example: As my test client (windows laptop) roamed, I may see 12 association history events in AMP among 8 different APs, but I only see 4 access tracker entries in ClearPass sourced from 4 different APs.

Q4: In viewing the mobility trail via the cli (#show ap client trail-info) it seems limited to the last 10 entries. Is there a way to see more via cli? Is the controller cli "mobility trail" the same as the client "association history" displayed in AMP for a client?

• 2.  RE: Roaming and association history questions
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 20, 2022 07:26 PM
    1- The wlan ssid-profile  EDIT: the 802.1x authentication profile
    2- Not necessarily.  Most clients (besides mac osx) support OKC so a typical reauth would not be required.
    3- It is not a full roaming history, it is just a sampling.  Some roams will be missed because the reports in that list only occur once per minute.  Look at the Clarity Entries for that client for a full roaming history along with whether or not a full reauth took place and how long each roam took.
    4 - It is limited due to space.  There is no way to see more.  The mobility trail is the same limited entries but limited due to space.

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 3.  RE: Roaming and association history questions

MVP
    Posted May 23, 2022 10:29 AM
    Thanks for your responses Colin! And thanks for pointing out the more detailed Clarity section in AMP. I see this can be exported to csv too, which is helpful. I have a few more follow up questions...

Based on your response to Q1 above, we do not appear to have OKC enabled on the ssid I am testing. 

Q5: Here are the clarity entries for my test client. How would you explain, for example, rows 14, 15, & 16, that show my client roaming to new APs, but there is no authentication. Wouldn't this require OKC or 802.11r (which I believe to be disabled on this ssid)?

Q6: Back to the band-to-band roam on same AP scenario: assuming OKC and 802.11r disabled, would the client need to go through a full 802.1x re-auth if roaming band-to-band? I am assuming so?

• 4.  RE: Roaming and association history questions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 23, 2022 02:42 PM
    I have never manipulated the OKC parameter in the SSID profile, so I am not in what context it is used.  Leaving OKC on has the "Validate PMK cache" setting (default) that automatically determines if the client supports OKC or not".  Long story short, I wouldn't touch that parameter in the 802.1x profile or the SSID profile.  It doesn't hurt anything.

To avoid the 4-way handshake on a roam, some sort of caching mechanism would have to be in play, yes.  Typically an access point will cache keys for a client and if and when the client returns to the same AP it can skip the 4-way handshake.  It would then only have the 4-way handshake on new access points.  That is how it should work in general.

I honestly do not know how the band-to-band works in general with respect to this.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card