View Only
last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Expand all | Collapse all

Roaming between 2 clusters in 8.10.x.x

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  Roaming between 2 clusters in 8.10.x.x

Posted 11 days ago

Good morning all.

I have an issue that I can't seem to get to the bottom of.  High level, clients cannot roam between APs on different controller clusters.  Below are the gritty details.

Scenario - campus setup with 2 clusters (4 controllers on each cluster) geographically separate.  Each cluster has it's own management network, but the devices (WLANs) are on the same L2 network.  There are a few areas where the RF domain from APs in each cluster overlap.  This is where my issue is.  When a user is connected to an AP on Cluster A and walks to an area serviced by an AP on Cluster B, the device moves to the new AP but shows as "connected with no internet".  The IP address of the device does not change since the L2 for that WLAN is the same across both clusters so I don't think I need to (or should) enable IP Mobility (but I could be wrong there) and I don't think 802.11k would help.  The only fix for the end user is to disconnect and reconnect the wifi.

I understand that seamless roaming is only between APs in the same cluster and I'm OK if the device needs to re-authenticate (voice over IP roaming isn't a high priority in this scenario).  I just need the device to connect again automatically.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jeff

• 2.  RE: Roaming between 2 clusters in 8.10.x.x

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 10 days ago

You can try enabling this parameter in the Virtual AP profile:

fdb-update-on-assoc

That would send out a gratuitous ARP when a client enters the forwarding table to ensure that the switch infrastructure is updated:

fdb-update-on-assoc

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Roaming between 2 clusters in 8.10.x.x

Posted 8 days ago

Thank you Colin!  that looks like exactly what I'm looking for.  I will be giving it a try this week.