Network Management

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

SCP stall occurs during attempt to upload new firmware to Airwave

This thread has been viewed 44 times
  • 1.  SCP stall occurs during attempt to upload new firmware to Airwave

Posted Aug 04, 2023 10:47 AM

Hello, 

We are attempting to upgrade AMP, but when we attempt to upload the new firmware to Airwave, the SCP stalls almost immediately during the file transfer.

We would greatly appreciate any guidance or assistance you could provide to help us resolve this issue.

Thank you in advance for your time and support.

• 2.  RE: SCP stall occurs during attempt to upload new firmware to Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 04, 2023 11:28 AM

The issue is mostly with the Network. The upgrade image is a large file. So, if there are any network delays or firewall  delays etc, it may stall. There are SCP options to limit b/w for large files to avoid this.

From the upgrade image perspective, just make sure the downloaded file has same Md5sum as in the support site.

Is your SCP server in same network as AirWave server?

------------------------------
    Regards
    Gowri Amujuri

• 3.  RE: SCP stall occurs during attempt to upload new firmware to Airwave

Posted Aug 04, 2023 12:03 PM

Hi Gowri, 

Thank you for responding so quickly.

Yes, they are in the same network. Our SolarWinds SFTP / SCP server is running in the cloud and our AirWave server is running on-prem.

Do you know where I can find the SCP options to limit the b/w for large files? 

• 4.  RE: SCP stall occurs during attempt to upload new firmware to Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 07, 2023 05:09 AM

On Linux, check the -l option (limit in kbit/s). Man-page here.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 5.  RE: SCP stall occurs during attempt to upload new firmware to Airwave

Posted Aug 07, 2023 05:45 AM

Hi Herman, 

I use the Upload File option in AirWave, how can I apply the -l option in it? 

• 6.  RE: SCP stall occurs during attempt to upload new firmware to Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 07, 2023 07:25 AM

Don't think you can in the Airwave CLI. Maybe on the scp server you can limit the throughput.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 7.  RE: SCP stall occurs during attempt to upload new firmware to Airwave

Posted 14 days ago

I'm having the same problem uploading the Airwave upgrade package file.  The upload stalls immediately.

The problem is not my network.  My SFTP server is in the same room as the Airwave server. There are no firewalls in between these devices.  There are no errors in the path between the devices.  I can run 20,000  pings, with a 5000 byte payload, to the Airwave server, and the success rate is 100% with an average round trip time of 2ms.   SFTP uploads and downloads to/from Airwave server work fine for smaller files.  I can SFTP download the nightly backups from Airwave without any problem, and they are almost as big as the upgrade package.

The problem happens when I try to upload files around the size of the upgrade package.  

The Airwave event log shows the upload as successful, but when I check it, the file size is zero.

Tue Apr 30 15:51:14 2024 ampadmin CLIUserAudit Command - Upload File, Result - Success
    Tue Apr 30 15:49:51 2024 ampadmin CLIUserAudit Command - Upload File, Uploaded awsftp@10.2.128.49:AMP-8.2.13.1-x86_64-cvs.tar.gz

Delete File
      1  .rnd                                               1,024 bytes  2018-02-12 13:44:51
      2  2021_bolthouse_wild.pfx                            5,749 bytes  2021-06-18 14:19:16
      3  AMP-8.2.10.1-amp_upgrade                          66,217 bytes  2019-11-22 00:46:04
      4  AMP-8.2.11.2-upgrade.log                       5,286,634 bytes  2020-09-23 11:15:48
      5  AMP-8.2.13.1-x86_64-cvs.tar.gz                         0 bytes  2024-04-30 17:18:06

Any insight into this problem will be greatly appreciated.

• 8.  RE: SCP stall occurs during attempt to upload new firmware to Airwave

Posted 5 days ago

Here's how I finally got the upgrade files uploaded to the Airwave server:

1.  I made an SSH connection to the Airwave server using  the ampadmin username.
    2. I used the menu option 5 to get to the Users menu.
    3. On the Users menu, I took option 3 to add file transfer user awsftp.
    4.  I quit the SHH session to Airwave.
    5. I installed WinSCP on my computer.
    6. In WinSCP I created a new login site with the IP address of my Airwave server, and the awsftp username and password.
    7.  I connected to the Airwave server in WinSCP
    8. In WinSCP, on the Airwave server side I changed to the user directory.
    9. In WinSCP , I dragged and dropped the upgrade file from my computer to the Airwave user folder.
    10. Done.