Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Setup of three IAP APs as a unified WiFi infra for SOHO (need guidance)

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  Setup of three IAP APs as a unified WiFi infra for SOHO (need guidance)

Posted Feb 05, 2024 08:08 PM

I am trying to set up a unified WiFi infra with a set of 3 Aruba IAPs as shown in Fig. 1 with "WPA2 Personal" (local passphrase authentication)

Unified WiFi setup for SOHO

Fig. 1

I have gone through the following steps:

1. Factory reset the IAP-325 that I want to be the "preferred controller" 
    2. Logged into the IAP-325 device and set the access point to be the "preferred master controller"
    3. I did a factory reset of another IAP-325 (#2) and installed it on the same physical LAN segment.
    4. On the "Access Points" page of the preferred master controller, I was expecting AP #2 to show up (Fig. 2).  But it does not. 
    5. Also, the "+" button is greyed so I cannot add the AP #2 manually.

I have been referring to the 8.7 online docs

Fig. 2

What am I missing? 

Thanks for your guidance _()_

------------------------------
    --
    ArunK

• 2.  RE: Setup of three IAP APs as a unified WiFi infra for SOHO (need guidance)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 05, 2024 08:26 PM

Does AP 2 come up as a separate VC or just failing once the existing VC has been found?  Does the cable modem provide a true switch functionality and allow full L2 transparency between the APs?  Are the APs all actual IAP models and not a mix of IAP and AP (Campus AP)?

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 3.  RE: Setup of three IAP APs as a unified WiFi infra for SOHO (need guidance)

Posted Feb 06, 2024 12:28 AM

Mea culpa -- the original diagram did not include the PoE switch powering the IAP-325s.  Here is an update.

IAP-325 SOHO setup with PoE switch

Does AP 2 come up as a separate VC or just failing once the existing VC has been found? 

From what I recall most times, it came up as a separate VC.  In other words, I could log in to it's dashboard and it showed itself as the VC.  However, l also noticed that it would redirect the https://<2nd_AP:4343> to the "preferred" VC's dashboard.

Does the cable modem provide a true switch functionality and allow full L2 transparency between the APs? 

The PoE switch has a "VLAN/Normal" toggle switch.  It was set to VLAN mode, meaning each PoE port was in its own VLAN within the switch.  This turned out to be the root cause for the subsequent APs not joining the first "preferred" virtual controller.  After I set the toggle to "Normal" and rebooted the APs, they all showed up in the Web dashboard of the virtual controller (screenshot below). 

Although I understand why the other 2 APs did not join the preferred VC, I am curious why the "+" remains greyed out. 

Under what circumstances does it become enabled such that one can add an IAP?

Are the APs all actual IAP models and not a mix of IAP and AP (Campus AP)?

Yes, they are all IAP models.

Question -- is it possible to have different IAP models in one group e.g. IAP-325, IAP-225, IAP-215, and IAP-335, and show up as a single SSID within the SOHO? 

Thanks

--
    ArunK

• 4.  RE: Setup of three IAP APs as a unified WiFi infra for SOHO (need guidance)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 06, 2024 12:55 AM

Haven't tried the option in a long time but I believe the ability to add an AP manually is only enabled after you set "Auto join mode" to disabled.

Any AP that is supported on the version of software that the VC is running can be added to the IAP cluster.  Running APs from different families (i.e., Wi-Fi 5 and Wi-Fi 6) can cause interesting client behavior or issues with supported features.  Updating software for a multi-class cluster can require additional input and using the "upgrade-image2" command from the CLI.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110