Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Shouldn't this be Simple? Configuring IP Directed forwarding for Wake on Lan

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  Shouldn't this be Simple? Configuring IP Directed forwarding for Wake on Lan

Posted Nov 08, 2022 10:45 AM
    Hello and thank you for looking at this post.

Currently having an issue with distributing WoL magic packets from VLAN 80 to VLAN 88.

CX6300 switch running 10.08.1040.

My wireshark capture can see the packets in VLAN 80 using UPD port 9 as destination. Same capture on VLAN 88 does not show any evidence of the WoL traffic being forwarded into VLAN 88.

Config below using ip direct-forwarding. I expected this to be all that was required. You will see that I have also added in  "ip forward-protocol udp 10.25.83.136 9 but no joy. 10.25.83.136 is the client with the Impero WoL software initialing the WoL traffic.

As you will see I now have config spread across both VLAN interfaces to ensure I was not applying to the incorrect interface.

Any guidance greatly appreciated.....

ip udp-bcast-forward

interface vlan 80
       description LCS_Main_LAN_1
       ip address 10.25.80.3/21
       ip forward-protocol udp 10.25.83.136 9
       ip directed-broadcast

interface vlan 88
      ip address 10.25.88.3/21
      ip helper-address 10.25.80.13
      ip forward-protocol udp 10.25.83.136 9
      ip directed-broadcast

• 2.  RE: Shouldn't this be Simple? Configuring IP Directed forwarding for Wake on Lan

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 08, 2022 02:48 PM
    Hi,

VLAN 80: First IP 10.25.80.0 ; Last IP 10.25.87.255​

VLAN 88: First IP 10.25.88.0 ; Last IP 10.25.95.255

I guess it's self-explanatory 😉 

------------------------------
    Ivan Bondar

• 3.  RE: Shouldn't this be Simple? Configuring IP Directed forwarding for Wake on Lan

Posted Nov 08, 2022 03:08 PM
    Thank you for replying! 

Sorry for being stupid. I read that the only command required is ip directed-forwarding. 

Do I need to reference the subnet broadcast address 10.25.87.255 in the vlan-interface?

• 4.  RE: Shouldn't this be Simple? Configuring IP Directed forwarding for Wake on Lan
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 08, 2022 03:19 PM
    We don't have stupid people here - we have people who already know and people who are going to know after asking a couple of questions 🙂 

I am afraid I was too short-spoken in my last message and it seems you need more details. First, check the example here - https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/AOS-CX/10.09/HTML/ip_route_6300-6400-83xx-10000/Content/Chp_IPDirBroad/ip-dir-bro-cnf-exa53.htm

Second, let me explain this configuration in two words. Practically you don't need any commands like "ip udp-bcast-forward" or "ip forward-protocol udp 10.25.83.136 9". All you need is "ip directed-broadcast" under "interface vlan" where your DESTINATION resides. In your example since you generate WoL from Vlan 80 and expect them to be forwarded to Vlan 88, then this will be the minimal working configuration:

interface vlan 88
      ip address 10.25.88.3/21
      ip helper-address 10.25.80.13
      ip directed-broadcast​

However, the destination IP in your WoL packets is not correct. Since you target Vlan 88, then the destination IP address must be the broadcast IP of the Vlan 88's network, e.g. 10.25.95.255

Your mistake was that you were sending directed broadcasts destined to the broadcast address of the same Vlan 80, therefore the switch didn't forward them anywhere outside Vlan 80.

Hope it helps!

Ivan Bondar

• 5.  RE: Shouldn't this be Simple? Configuring IP Directed forwarding for Wake on Lan

Posted Nov 08, 2022 03:46 PM
    Thanks so much. I thought what you explained was the very first thing I did but it didn't work. So I added more and more to the config!

I could easily have got the config wrong the first time so will try your advice again tomorrow.

Very grateful for your time Ivan. Thank you.

• 6.  RE: Shouldn't this be Simple? Configuring IP Directed forwarding for Wake on Lan

Posted Nov 17, 2022 06:17 AM
    Ivan, thank you. WoL now working after implementing today.

• 7.  RE: Shouldn't this be Simple? Configuring IP Directed forwarding for Wake on Lan

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 17, 2022 06:20 AM
    Great news, kw! 🙂 ​

Ivan Bondar