View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Expand all | Collapse all

The system detected an address conflict for the IP address 0.0.0.0

This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  The system detected an address conflict for the IP address 0.0.0.0

Posted Jan 05, 2023 11:13 AM

Hi Airheads

We've been troubleshooting an issue where computers are experiencing problems when connecting to the wired network. We've found event logs on the computers which state the following:

"The system detected an address conflict for the IP address 0.0.0.0 with the system having the network hardware address of XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX. Network operations on this system may be disrupted as a result."

It happens due to the Windows feature "Duplicate Address Detection" colliding with "ip client-tracker" on our switches, as the switches send out a gratuitous ARP. 

Cisco has described the issue here - Troubleshoot Duplicate IP Address 0.0.0.0 Error Messages - Cisco

Cisco seems to provide several fixes for this issue however, I have not been able to find anything on Aruba switches.

The command "ip client-tracker trusted" is applied on all our Aruba 2930F switches, and I'd prefer not to disable the feature as it provides a better insight into clients connected to the switch. 

Are any of you aware of a fix to this issue or do I have to disable the client-tracker completely? 

• 2.  RE: The system detected an address conflict for the IP address 0.0.0.0

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 06, 2023 04:59 AM
    This looks like an old issue (Windows Vista is mentioned), and I don't see many reported issues with support for this.

Can you open a Aruba TAC Support case to get this investigated?

If others see this and know a workaround, please share.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: The system detected an address conflict for the IP address 0.0.0.0

Posted Jan 09, 2023 03:16 AM
    Hi Herman

To my knowledge, the issue is still present and has been existing since Windows Vista.

I have not been able to find a technical explanation on how the IP client-tracker feature works on Aruba however I suppose it works the same as on Cisco regarding sending out ARP probes with source IP 0.0.0.0, and source MAC of the switch.

We can see in the system event logs of our Windows 10 clients that the duplicate address detection is conflicting with the ARP probes from the switch with source IP 0.0.0.0 and source MAC of the Aruba switch itself.

We discovered the issue because we had employees report being unable to sign into their AD user on their PC, even when providing the correct password and verifying by clicking on the display password button. I have experienced the issue myself a couple of times.

When the issue arrives, it's resolved by disconnecting from the network and reconnecting again. Or enabling flight mode, but this makes Windows use the cached login. We, therefore, suspect the client-tracker feature of causing this, because it conflicts with Windows DAD. The client thinks it has network connectivity, but it doesn't due to the client detecting a duplicate address and therefore dropping network connectivity.

We are not sure if the issue is caused by the IP client-tracker, but that's our current suspicion. We're testing if it's the IP client-tracker feature causing the issue this whole week as we've disabled the feature on one of our sites to see if it resolves the issue.

I'll report back with our findings

• 4.  RE: The system detected an address conflict for the IP address 0.0.0.0

Posted Jan 11, 2023 03:46 AM

To overcome the above scenario, we have to make sure that ARP probe from the client tracker and DAD (Duplicate Address Detection) process are not sent at the same time.

The ARP probe sent by the client tracker can be delayed using the "IP client-tracker probe delay" option.

Most Windows clients send ARP probes within 10 secs and some VMs take longer. Its recommended to configure probe delay of 120 secs. 

Command: 

# ip client-tracker probe-delay 120
        (By default it is 15 secs on Aruba switches)

NOTE:
    This conflict happens only on L2 VLANs.  n case the VLAN has an IP address assigned on it, then the packets sent from the switch will have the source IP filled and the client will not see this as a conflict

Shobana
    Aruba