Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Trimming 6GHz Data Rates

This thread has been viewed 28 times
  • 1.  Trimming 6GHz Data Rates

Posted May 10, 2023 03:39 PM

Is there any guidance yet for trimming data rates on the 6GHz side?  Is there a wifi6e VHD coming that might speak to this? 

• 2.  RE: Trimming 6GHz Data Rates

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 10, 2023 04:14 PM

The 6ghz band already has shorter range than 5ghz.  You might not have to change anything.

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 3.  RE: Trimming 6GHz Data Rates

Posted May 10, 2023 04:47 PM

Yep, I agree it may not be necessary from a roaming perspective.  From a performance standpoint though, I wonder if any analysis has been done to see if even greater efficiencies can be gained by trimming rates as we've all been doing on the 5ghz side for years.  Of course, 11ax is more efficient, and 6ghz has less interference at the moment, I assume someone will still eventually run some tests and report on it.  Perhaps too early in the game?

• 4.  RE: Trimming 6GHz Data Rates

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 10, 2023 06:04 PM

I have not seen that recommendation, but yes it is early.  Removing rates was to make clients roam more and reduce utilization.  If your deployment reaches critical mass, please let us know what you see. 

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 5.  RE: Trimming 6GHz Data Rates

Posted May 11, 2023 08:29 AM

Funny timing.  We have a few new Macbook Pros with wifi6e chipsets and one of them was being unbelievably sticky after the user moved from a collaboration room to their desk.  SNR was between 12 - 15, and the Mac wouldn't budge.  I did a Teams video call with them and it was crystal clear.  They had no complaints regarding performance.  Very surprising results for this particular user.  For now, I plan to sit on my hands on not make these kind of adjustments just yet.

• 6.  RE: Trimming 6GHz Data Rates

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 11, 2023 08:47 AM

It would be interesting to see what the client thought the access point's signal strength is, and the tx and rx datarates the client was maintaining at the time.

• 7.  RE: Trimming 6GHz Data Rates

Posted May 11, 2023 12:21 PM

I have a wi-fi monitoring agent on the device, and surprisingly it only got down to -65 dBm with an SNR of 22.  Data rates went from 960 Mbps to 216 Mbps.  That explains it though.  Apple documentation isn't updated for 6GHz, but assuming the roaming logic is roughly the same, it won't roam at -65 dBm.

Seems odd to have such an asymmetric connection to/from that Mac; -65dBm (Mac) vs -80dBm (AP).  AP is set to max EIRP of 16 and assuming 802.11h/d w/ TPC still works, the client may be limiting itself to 16 as well, since we have 80.211h/d enabled.  Do you know if TPC is functional within the 6GHz space and if Macs will support it?