Network Management

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Troubleshoot Mgmt card interface

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Troubleshoot Mgmt card interface

Posted Feb 16, 2024 12:17 PM

I have an Aruba 6405 chassis that I am using to troubleshoot a 'bad' R0X31A management card. The <model> card was in a different chassis that was going into production and started showing errors for the mgmt port on the card. We had another mgmt card on the way so I just hot swapped the cards. Now I am trying to troubleshoot the bad card. 

The card is in a brand new 6405 chassis. I have a line card in the 3rd module with an ethernet cable plugged from 1/3/1 on the line card to the mgmt port on the card which is in slot 2. I am getting all green lights and the health of the card looks normal. The chassis is not hooked up to our network so I can not figure out how to ping the card.

My boss is telling me that I can get the switch to talk to itself by creating a vlan on the switch and putting the management card in the vlan. That way I can test the card by trying to ping it from the mgmt vrf. I have the clan created but I can not figure out how to get the mgmt card into the vlan. 

I have tried vlan access <vlanID, all> and vlan trunk <vlanID, all> with neither command working. 
    I have put the port that is in the line card 1/3/1 into the vlan.
    I have tried to add the mgmt port through the vlan interface.

Aruba does not have, to my knowladge, a command that I can find that when im in the mgmt interface to add it a vlan.

• 2.  RE: Troubleshoot Mgmt card interface

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 16, 2024 02:44 PM
    Hi, generally a Switch OoBM interface is "VLAN unaware" to my knowledge: it means that it behaves as a Host's NIC port uncapable of beign assigned to a particular VLAN Id...and thus it should be connected to a Switch port configured to operate in "Access Mode" (with a Native VLAN Id which is "untagged") accepting ingress untagged traffic and providing egress untagged traffic too.

Can't you define a - say - VLAN Id dedicated to your "OoBM island" and assign two Line Card's ports to that VLAN, one port connect to your management host, the other to Management Module OoBM interface...and set both your host IP and MM OoBM interface IP to use a common IP addressing so that both will be capable of reach each other?

• 3.  RE: Troubleshoot Mgmt card interface

Posted Feb 16, 2024 04:40 PM

Thank you for the information. I have a port configured and plugged into it and that port is showing access to the vlan that I created.

Do I at this point trunk the vlan on the port and tag it?

• 4.  RE: Troubleshoot Mgmt card interface

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 16, 2024 09:01 PM
    You need two ports with VLAN 100 as Native VLAN (thus two ports "untagged" on VLAN 100, to use another jargon).

One port for your host NIC port with (say) an IP assigned like x.y.z.2 (of a segment x.y.z.0 /24) and one port for your Management Module OoBM with (say) an IP assigned like x.y.z.1 (of the same segment). Host and MM OoBM should see each others (staying in the same VLAN and using the same IP addressing).

I admit it's quite silly to reconnect back a MM OoBM interface (or, better, any OoBM) into the frontend network of its very same switch...but if you can't have the OoBM connected to another isolated and protected network (into which you need to be - in a way or another - also connected to...) and if being connected to the OoBM directly (or directly to its Serial Console interface, if any) is not enough/possible...your request become more reasonable.

I admit I don't understand exactly why you need this setup IF you could be able to work on the Management Module via its Serial Console interface...I mean...especially if the setup if for diagnosing/testing purposes only (to check if MM is ok or not)...but, again, maybe you have other reasons.

No need to tag (or transport) that VLAN 100 if your host is connected to the switch directly as long as the MM OoBM interface is too connected to.

Hope to have not misunderstood what you're trying to achieve.

• 5.  RE: Troubleshoot Mgmt card interface

Posted Feb 28, 2024 11:15 AM

Thank you for the information.

I guess my main question is how can I test the functionality of the MGMT port on the MGMT card. 

I was able to figure it out I hope by applying the following:

I did a ping test from the interface to the mgmt port and it was successful. I do not know if this is how it is supposed to happen but it did.