Network Management

View Only
last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Trunking/tagging VLANS

This thread has been viewed 23 times
  • 1.  Trunking/tagging VLANS

Posted Jul 13, 2022 01:45 PM
    Hi.

I am trying to trunk - in the Cisco meaning of it - or tagged as it is called on HP switches(?) 4 vlans 29,39,31 and 32 from a pfSenese firewall to port 8 on a HP ProCurve 2520G switch.
    I am not to familiar with the syntax on HP switches, but I have managed to set VLANs 29->32 as tagged on port 8 via the CLI on the switch. Have I now "trunked" (Cisco meaning of it) those 4 vlans to the switch on port 8?

Also I have another question. I will connect a Unify AP on port 1 on the HP switch, and the AP needs to access VLAN 29,30 and 31. How do I achieve this while on the same time trunking/tagging 29,30,31 and 32 through port8?

• 2.  RE: Trunking/tagging VLANS

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 13, 2022 03:05 PM
    Hi!

On HP ProCurve switch series (running HP ProVision OS) this command will show the VLAN membership of an interface (or a range/list of physical/logical  interfaces):

show vlans ports ethernet <interface-id> detail (on older HP ProVision the final detail option is not available)

So, in your case, you can easily check the VLAN membership of ports 1 and 8 with a single command:

show vlans ports ethernet 1,8 detail (or just show vlans ports ethernet 1,8)

With regard to VLAN tagging (VLAN trunking in Cisco jargon) there are two ways of operate a VLAN membership setting: at VLAN context level or at interface context level.

If you want to operate at VLAN context level simply go to VLAN id context and the execute:

tagging <port-id> or no tagging <port-it> to add tag or remove tag on a particular <port-id> (or untagging <port-id> or no untagging <port-id> if you're in the context of the PVID Port VLAN ID or Native VLAN for that very port and you want that that particular VLAN id to become the Native VLAN id for that port, or remove it...leaving the port orphaned of its Native VLAN id in the case there is already at least one tagging on that port...because a port can't be without at least a VLAN tag).

So, in your case, you should execute for your port 8 (supposing NO native VLAN Id and only tagged VLAN Ids to the interface uplinked to your pFSense):

config
    show vlans ports ethernet 8 detail
    vlan 29
    tagged 8
    exit
    vlan 30
    tagged 8
    exit
    vlan 31
    tagged 8
    exit
    vlan 32
    tagged 8
    exit
    write memory
    show vlans ports ethernet 8 detail

The other way is to operate at interface context level, this is particularly useful when an interface needs to be tagged on various VLANs (as per your scenario):

interface ethernet <port-id(s)> tagged vlan <vlan-id(s)> or interface ethernet <port-id(s)> untagged vlan <vlan-id(s)> (both commands accept the no as prefix to remove any VLAN id tagging, if necessary).

So a command like:

interface ethernet 8 tagged vlan 29-32

will exactly produce the same outcome of the previous commands sequence written above. 

With regard to the Wireless AP connected to port 1 you need to understand if it requires all the VLANs tagged or not (with not I mean: does it require a VLAN id as its Native VLAN Id so untagged on that VLAN id or not?). If it requires that all the VLANs are tagged on the port it is connected to, the setting will be very similar to the one used on the port 8 (just with no VLAN 32), so:

interface ethernet 1 tagged vlan 29-31

• 3.  RE: Trunking/tagging VLANS

Posted Jul 16, 2022 03:50 AM

Thank you so much parnassus for a very informative and good answer to my question. This helped me a lot :)

One thing though, when I do "interface ethernet 1 tagged vlan 29-32"   I get "Invalid input tagged". The same obviously happens if I open interface ethernet 1 first and then do tagged vlan 29-32. or tagged on any VLAN for that matter. Any idea why I get this error?

• 4.  RE: Trunking/tagging VLANS

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 20, 2022 08:49 PM
    First, do VLAN Ids 29, 30, 31 and 32 already exist? Second, Is maybe the Interface Ethernet 1 part of a Port Trunk (Links Aggregation)?