Wired

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Expand all | Collapse all

Trying to check End of Life/ End of Software Updates for HPE/Aruba switches

This thread has been viewed 51 times
  • 1.  Trying to check End of Life/ End of Software Updates for HPE/Aruba switches

Posted Feb 21, 2023 12:08 PM

Good morning All,

I hope you are all doing well. I was trying to update one of our HPE switches to the most recent firmware update and noticed that the last one available was released back in October, my question to you is: is there any HPE/Aruba website that I can go to, to check the End of Life and/or End of Sofware Updates for HPE/Aruba devices? I've done some searches myself but so far, I have not found anything online, if someone would be able to assist me on this, I would greatly appreciate it,

Best Regards, 

• 2.  RE: Trying to check End of Life/ End of Software Updates for HPE/Aruba switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 21, 2023 12:12 PM

Hi,

Have you checked this one - https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/end-of-life/ ?

------------------------------
    Ivan Bondar

• 3.  RE: Trying to check End of Life/ End of Software Updates for HPE/Aruba switches

Posted Feb 21, 2023 12:33 PM

Thanks a lot for the quick reply and the information provided @Ivan_B 

I took some time to check the link and it does provides great information about the Aruba branded switches (Campus Switches) and other products, which I find super handy, but it doesn't seem to provide information about HPE branded switches, could it be that I am not looking in the right place? 

Thanks,

• 4.  RE: Trying to check End of Life/ End of Software Updates for HPE/Aruba switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 21, 2023 12:45 PM

Hmm, that is strange, because if you are looking for the info about Comware-based HPE switches like FlexFabric and FlexCampus series, then there is a menu item in the drop-down menu:

Also, be sure to check the link at the bottom of the page:

It leads to this page:

Ivan Bondar

• 5.  RE: Trying to check End of Life/ End of Software Updates for HPE/Aruba switches

Posted Feb 22, 2023 11:54 AM

Good morning Ivan,

Thanks for the info. To be more specific I was actually looking for information on a specific Switch (5406zl - J8697A), but this specific product number is not showing in the End of Sales product list. Is it fair to assume that when a product is not listed is because it has not been discontinued?

Thanks,

• 6.  RE: Trying to check End of Life/ End of Software Updates for HPE/Aruba switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 22, 2023 02:11 PM

I am afraid that platform has been declared end of sale long time ago and now I can't even find the document about this. AFAIK E5400zl started around 2010 and was declared end of sale around 2015. Now this is the only info I could find, but it doesn't state any date and majority of links lead nowhere:

Ivan Bondar

• 7.  RE: Trying to check End of Life/ End of Software Updates for HPE/Aruba switches

Posted Feb 22, 2023 02:25 PM

I understand, does the support for the Switch from HP/Aruba would also end at the End of Sale time? 

• 8.  RE: Trying to check End of Life/ End of Software Updates for HPE/Aruba switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 24, 2023 09:46 AM

Support would end at the end-of-support date, which typically is later than the end-of-sale date. For other switches the end-of-support is 5 years after the end-of-sale, which means that if your switch was announced end-of-sale in 2015 (but date is not clear, could be even earlier), and the same 5 year term would apply (assumed), it's well out of support as well. It looks at latest 16.01 firmware is supported on the 5400zl which was last released in 2017.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 9.  RE: Trying to check End of Life/ End of Software Updates for HPE/Aruba switches

Posted Feb 27, 2023 11:50 AM

Good morning,

@Herman Robers thanks a lot for this really useful information. That's actually why I started this discussion, since I was not able to find newer firmware updates available for this model, the most recent one that I actually found in the ASP website is K.16.02.0036, which apparently was released back on Oct 10, 2022.

What would be the recommended replacement product for this particular switch? 

• 10.  RE: Trying to check End of Life/ End of Software Updates for HPE/Aruba switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 27, 2023 12:05 PM

If you check the Release Notes, the 'K' line of firmware is for multiple switch lines. The K.16.02 does not run on the 5400zl, so K.16.01 seems the latest compatible version.

A switch that closely matches the form-factor of the 5406 would be the 6400 switches. But depending on your (current) requirements, there may be other switches that better match what you need. I would work with your Aruba partner to design the optimal replacement. 

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 11.  RE: Trying to check End of Life/ End of Software Updates for HPE/Aruba switches

Posted Feb 27, 2023 12:26 PM

Ohh, I thought it was compatible, 

I checked the "This release applies to the following product models" list of the Release Notes document for the K.16.02 firmware update and found the switch listed there:

Am I probably not interpreting this info correctly? 

• 12.  RE: Trying to check End of Life/ End of Software Updates for HPE/Aruba switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 01, 2023 05:28 AM

Seems that you are correct. I may have checked the K.16.04 release notes that only list the 3500. If the release notes list that the switch is supported, you can assume it is supported.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------

• 13.  RE: Trying to check End of Life/ End of Software Updates for HPE/Aruba switches

Posted Mar 02, 2023 12:59 PM

Perfect, 

Thanks @Ivan_B and @Herman Robers for the valuable information provided on this discussion,