Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Trying to setup an APIN0225 and can't get the lights to flash green/amber

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  Trying to setup an APIN0225 and can't get the lights to flash green/amber

Posted Feb 26, 2024 08:47 AM

I'm new to the world of Aruba kit, so please forgive me high ignorance level!

• I have an APIN0225 access point.

• I've connected it to Ethernet using the ETH0 port

• I've factory reset it by holding a paperclip in the reset hole, connecting the 12V supply and waiting for 10seconds.

• Next I've launched the Aruba Instant On app from the Play Store and begun to setup a new site.

• The app tells me that the AP needs to be discoverable "lights alternating between green and amber"

• All I seem to achieve is the PWR LED flashing green along with ETH0...presumably indicating LAN traffic in its case.

• I don't have any controller setup, I purely want to create an access point between WiFi and the wired LAN.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Trying to setup an APIN0225 and can't get the lights to flash green/amber

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 26, 2024 08:53 AM

APIN0225 can be many different devices. Please check for a sticker on the back with either AP-225 or IAP-225-RW (or -US).

If you have an AP-225 sticker on the back you will need a separate controller to operate this AP, in which case it's probably not worth for home use.

If you have an IAP-225-xx model, you can operate it without a controller, and by using the reset button you can probably bring the AP back in factory default and you should be able to see an instant-ap or SetMeUp-xx:xx network after a while that can get you started.

If the sticker is removed, assume it's an AP-225.

Aruba Instant On is a different product and the app will not work which either AP-225 or IAP-225-xx. So whatever the app tells you will not work.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: Trying to setup an APIN0225 and can't get the lights to flash green/amber

Posted Feb 26, 2024 09:19 AM

Thanks Herman.  I've attached a photo of the rear of my AP.  In my case the information seems to be printed directly to the plastic.  It seems to say APIN0225, there didn't seem to be a sticker present so the thinking is that it's an AP225 and not really suitable for my needs?  

I'm guessing there's no way of flashing the OS to become what I need... :-)

• 4.  RE: Trying to setup an APIN0225 and can't get the lights to flash green/amber

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 26, 2024 09:45 AM

Above where the sticker with barcodes is, in that big black area, that is where the sticker should be. See a similar photo in this post. Lately I have seen a few examples where the stickers were removed, probably to hide the fact that these are AP models which require a controller.

If you bought this online somewhere, you may be able to return it and find an IAP model somewhere, or if you prefer Instant ON, get an Instant ON AP.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 5.  RE: Trying to setup an APIN0225 and can't get the lights to flash green/amber

Posted Feb 27, 2024 02:55 AM

Hi Steve.

AP 225 can be CAP (campus controller based) or Instant AP. There was never been an InstantOn model of this AP. Hence you can't use InstantOn portal to do anything with this AP. You won't see green/amber light flashing on this AP.

If you are lucky that this is Instant model, you can use local GUI/CLI for configuration. You need a RJ45 to USB serial cable or RJ45 to DIN9 and DIN9 to USB serial adapter to connect to serial console. From there you can check the model and firmware version.

You can check Airheads as there are many threads on how to with boot loader on Aruba APs.

Best, Gorazd

Gorazd Kikelj
    MVP Guru 2024

• 6.  RE: Trying to setup an APIN0225 and can't get the lights to flash green/amber

Posted Feb 27, 2024 03:00 AM

If Part number begins with JW23xx, then it is Instant model any you are lucky so you can use it with local CLI/GUI.

If Part number begins with JW17xx, then you are on your own as this AP need a controller to operate.

Best, Gorazd

Gorazd Kikelj
    MVP Guru 2024

• 7.  RE: Trying to setup an APIN0225 and can't get the lights to flash green/amber

Posted Feb 27, 2024 04:14 AM

Ah, thanks.  That's what I needed to know but didn't want to hear.  lol!  JW174A

• 8.  RE: Trying to setup an APIN0225 and can't get the lights to flash green/amber

Posted Feb 27, 2024 04:28 AM

Yeah. There are a lot of old CAP APs on the market.

Best, Gorazd

Gorazd Kikelj
    MVP Guru 2024

• 9.  RE: Trying to setup an APIN0225 and can't get the lights to flash green/amber

Posted Feb 28, 2024 02:01 AM

"Instant On" is entirely different from "Instant". The app is not the way to set up "Instant" devices.

As you've learned, there are many part numbers and not all devices are "Instant". Sellers take advantage of this and don't disclose. You must ALWAYS confirm the part number!!! Make sure it matches the COUNTRY and model. Many "RW" rest of the world devices are being sold in the US. Good luck.