Cloud Managed Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss all things related to HPE Aruba Networking Central and UXI Network Management, including deployment of managed networks, configuration, best practices, APIs, Cloud Guest, AIOps, Presence Analytics, and other included Applications
Expand all | Collapse all

UBT Clients cannot send traffic. Only get DHCP address

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  UBT Clients cannot send traffic. Only get DHCP address

Posted 15 days ago

Not sure this is the right discussion but:

I have a client with Central, 6300 CX switches, two 7210 gateways and Clearpass. They want to use UBT but the network is live and it will be a gradual migration. I have enabled UBT on the switches, configured the Clearpass authentication and the correct roles on the gateways. If I configure a port to use MAC or 802.1x authentication, the client successfully authenticates, the role is pushed to the switch and the secondary role applied. I see the client on the gateway in the correct role with an IP address obtained via DHCP. However, the client cannot send or receive any other traffic. No traffic appears blocked in the datapath table though. All roles allow all traffic

Any ideas what I have wrong here? I do wonder if the issue is the same VLAN is configured locally on the switch but this is not stated as an issue in the documentation unless using ubt vlan-extend which I am not.

The same issue happens for all ubt clients in any VLAN whether mac auth or 802.1x

Thanks

Stewart

------------------------------
    --------------------
    Stewart Smith
    ACMX, ACDX, ACCP, ACSA
    --------------------

• 2.  RE: UBT Clients cannot send traffic. Only get DHCP address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 14 days ago

your ubt client VLAN ID should be unique and also be created on your gateway but not applied to any interferes

what is your ubt zone configuration?

Is the UBT  user-role on the gateway blocking anything?

If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: UBT Clients cannot send traffic. Only get DHCP address

Posted 14 days ago

The UBT client VLAN is created on the gateway but was also on the switch. I removed the VLAN from the switch but then the client no longer appeared in the user table on the gateway. I know the VLAN does not need to be on the switch though. 

The user role on the gateway allows any traffic. 

I have logged with TAC now so hopefully they will find the issue

--------------------
    Stewart Smith
    ACMX, ACDX, ACCP, ACSA
    --------------------

• 4.  RE: UBT Clients cannot send traffic. Only get DHCP address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 13 days ago

UBT Client VLAN is somewhat ambiguous; check this video for the difference between local VLAN and VLAN Extend mode. Local VLAN (and use of the ubt-client-vlan command on the switch) is probably what you want.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 5.  RE: UBT Clients cannot send traffic. Only get DHCP address

Posted 13 days ago

Yes I want the clients to be placed in a role on the gateway. They just need to be placed into the VLAN on the controller and the traffic tunnelled between switch and gateway. I don't think I have any need for tagged traffic so don't need vlan extend. the UBT config on the switch I have is:

vlan 4091

ubt-client-vlan 4091
    ubt zone default vrf default
        primary-controller ip 10.x.2.40
        backup-controller ip 10.x.2.48
        enable

ip source-interface ubt interface vlan200

ubt state shows both gateways connected

--------------------
    Stewart Smith
    ACMX, ACDX, ACCP, ACSA
    --------------------

• 6.  RE: UBT Clients cannot send traffic. Only get DHCP address
    Best Answer

Posted 8 days ago

Ok so I found the issue on this. For the local role I was pushing to the switch I thought the ACL allowed any traffic. It turned out that I had set it to allow any TCP traffic and not 'any' traffic. Changing this has fixed the issue. 

--------------------
    Stewart Smith
    ACMX, ACDX, ACCP, ACSA
    --------------------