Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

unboxing AP-615 Campus AP ---- previously had IAP105 virtual controller networks

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  unboxing AP-615 Campus AP ---- previously had IAP105 virtual controller networks

Posted Mar 08, 2024 09:28 AM

Hello-

I understand that these new APs (AP-615 Campus AP) are able to also run Instant with Virtual controller. I'm replacing all IAP with these and realize they will have to be on a completely new Virtual controller network as the old IAP105 do not support the later versions on Instant. I believe we are able to convert these to run Instant, but out of the box they are not broadcasting a setup SSID. These were initially purchased 5/2023 and I am finally getting to the time to make the device upgrades. There will be a total of 10 units all the same. Am I on the right track with a completely VC setup similar to what the IAP105 offered? I loved that the old units basically ran and set up without much interaction over the years. I'm thinking that I may need the console cable to set up one of the devices as Instant if there is no way to connect via WIFI to the device? Am I completely wrong and do I absolutely need to purchase a separate hardware controller? Initially these units were purchased because they seemed to be versatile.

• 2.  RE: unboxing AP-615 Campus AP ---- previously had IAP105 virtual controller networks

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 08, 2024 09:51 AM

You definitely have the flexibility to do a VC setup like before. Like you observed, you'll want to setup the new AP-615s a different VLAN than the AP-105s. The AP-615s likely came with a manufacturing image which is not a full-blown image. The manufacturing image is used to discover and connect to either a controller-based or controller-less image and does have SSH and WebUI capabilities. You just need to find the IP address of the unit and log in. Once in, you can load the latest IAP image from the Networking Support Portal. After you've done 1 AP, the other APs (on the same VLAN) should do Instant VC discovery and connect to the AP-615 VC and upgrade their images. You'll want to go with 8.12 since 8.11 is no longer supported.