Security

View Only
last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

upgrade 6.9 to 6.11 on C1000

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  upgrade 6.9 to 6.11 on C1000

Posted 27 days ago

Hello we have c1000 currently running on 6.9.13 version, now we are planning to upgrade to 6.11. Can we backup the 6.9.13 configuration and restore on the 6.11 version? 

C1000 is the hardware appliance.

Please let me know is there any procedure and process do I need to look before upgrade.

Thank you.
    Sri

• 2.  RE: upgrade 6.9 to 6.11 on C1000

Posted 27 days ago
    Not sure you can. I always try and get as close to the intended final release. If possible I’d upgrade to 6.10 then backup then build 6.11
    A
    Sent from my iPhone

• 3.  RE: upgrade 6.9 to 6.11 on C1000

Posted 27 days ago

Hi

Yes, you can take a 6.9.13 backup and restore to 6.11.x. Make sure also to copy the server certificates, licenses and document any settings done under the server object. Like changed parameters for specific services, hardening etc. If you have custom routing entries, document these as well.

There is no rollback option when you have installed 6.11, so you must do all this before you wipe the disk with the 6.11 installation.

Read the installations carefully!

You also need to have an active support contract for your serial number and this contract and serial number must be registered in the support portal. Otherwise ClearPass will not be able to download updates. It may take up to 24 hours before the download of updates are possible even if the contract is registered correctly.

------------------------------
    Best Regards
    Jonas Hammarbäck
    MVP Guru 2024, ACEX, ACDX #1600, ACCX #1335, ACX-Network Security, Aruba SME, ACMP, ACSA
    Aranya AB
    If you find my answer useful, consider giving kudos and/or mark as solution

• 4.  RE: upgrade 6.9 to 6.11 on C1000

Posted 27 days ago
      |   view attached

Hi Jonas,

Thank you for your solution. Currently we are trying to simulate the upgrade on the vm instance, we installed 6.11.1 ovf on the vm instance now trying to restore the backup and it got failed. INFO - Backup is from a different version. Try with migration option enabled. Error  - Restore failed.

Attachment(s)

docx
    Restore error.docx   36 KB 1 version

• 5.  RE: upgrade 6.9 to 6.11 on C1000

Posted 27 days ago
    Well you would get that, its from a different version :-) so what happens if you check the “its a different version” checkbox ?

Know it works from 6.10 and really could have sworn that I read somewhere you had to be on 6.10 for backup restoration to work … certainly did for me
    A

• 6.  RE: upgrade 6.9 to 6.11 on C1000

Posted 27 days ago

In the documentation for the install process it's specified that migration from both 6.9.x and 6.10.x is possible.

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ClearPass/6.11/Installation-Guide/Default.htm#UpgradeUpdate/Up-Installation-6-11-x.htm

The process with a VM is the same, except the parts involving changing the BIOS on the hardware machine and booting on a USB stick, or similar.

Best Regards
    Jonas Hammarbäck
    MVP Guru 2024, ACEX, ACDX #1600, ACCX #1335, ACX-Network Security, Aruba SME, ACMP, ACSA
    Aranya AB
    If you find my answer useful, consider giving kudos and/or mark as solution

• 7.  RE: upgrade 6.9 to 6.11 on C1000

Posted 27 days ago
    Cool! Stand corrected :-)
    A