View Only
last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Expand all | Collapse all

Upgrade procedure for aruba wlc firmware from 6.X to 8.X

This thread has been viewed 28 times
  • 1.  Upgrade procedure for aruba wlc firmware from 6.X to 8.X

Posted Jul 13, 2023 07:38 AM

Hi,

I want to upgrade the aruba wlc which is running on 6.5.4.9 to 8.X. I have gone through lots of articles about upgrade & I found that there is migration tool available for upgrade from 6.X to 8.X.

I want to understand that is that tool is really useful in migration? If I upgrade with the migration tool then do I need to reconfigure the WLC or configuration will remain as it is?

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: Upgrade procedure for aruba wlc firmware from 6.X to 8.X

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 13, 2023 11:57 AM

The migration tool does not support versions after some early 8.x version (think 8.3 but not sure).

After upgrade from 6.x to 8.x, all configuration is lost. You may paste in some CLI config, but because of the new hierarchy (mobility conductor) most customers decide to take the opportunity to start from scratch and get rid of old config.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: Upgrade procedure for aruba wlc firmware from 6.X to 8.X

Posted Jul 13, 2023 01:34 PM

Hi Herman thanks for your reply,

Kindly suggest, if any how I have to reconfigure the controller and migration tool does support till some early 8.x versions then what if I upgrade the controller to the some later and stable 8.x versions directly and reconfigure the WLC?

And suggest if any latest and stable versions available.

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Upgrade procedure for aruba wlc firmware from 6.X to 8.X
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 17, 2023 05:24 AM

I'd say that if you upgrade now to AOS8, the best option would be to go to a recent version of AOS8 (latest 8.10.x if your APs and controllers support it), and start your configuration new from scratch.

Check the release notes if all your APs support the AOS8 version that you selected, or use the WLAN Platform compatibilty Matrix

As many customers don't do these upgrades on a daily basis, it may be worth to ask your Aruba partner to plan and perform the upgrade for you.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 5.  RE: Upgrade procedure for aruba wlc firmware from 6.X to 8.X

Posted Jul 18, 2023 03:15 AM

Hi Herman,

Thank you for your valuable response.

My APs and Controllers are compatible to 8.10.X version. Will upgrade to the 8.10.X version.

Thanks & Regards

Aniket.