Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Upgraded MM and one of my controllers appears down

This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  Upgraded MM and one of my controllers appears down

Posted Sep 10, 2022 08:30 AM
    I was planning on upgrading our MM and cluster from 8.7.1.9 to 8.7.1.10 this weekend. However, after upgrading the MM to 8.7.1.10, it shows one of my controllers as being down. It's not down. I can still ping and access it.

I plan on doing the live upgrade process which has worked great before but I reverted the MM back to 8.7.1.9 before moving forward. It's showing up after reverting to 8.7.1.9.

Is the "down" controller a bug? Should I continue with the live cluster upgrade even though the MM says one of my controllers is down?

------------------------------
    Nathan K

• 2.  RE: Upgraded MM and one of my controllers appears down

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 10, 2022 09:32 AM
    How many controllers do you have in that cluster?
    You should not do a live upgrade if you are having issues, because that would take longer.
    If you have the problem again, you should SSH into the MM and type "show switches" to see what controllers it thinks are up.
    You should also type "show datapath session table <ip address of down controller>" on the MM to see if any traffic is passing between them.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 3.  RE: Upgraded MM and one of my controllers appears down

Posted Sep 11, 2022 09:07 AM
    We have one MM and two MCs. I tried again this morning and after upgrading the MM to 8.7.1.10 and rebooting, it could still see both MCs. So I started the live upgrade process and it seemed to be rolling along until the first MC needed a reboot. It rebooted, came back up, and the MM could no longer see it. I could ping it from any other machine except for the MM. This is the same MC that I had an issue with during the initial upgrade mentioned in the post.

Your two recommended commands showed no traffic. And this makes sense if we can't even ping the controller from the MM.

The live upgrade ended up failing so I reverted the MM back to 8.7.1.9. Any ideas? Very strange. It looks like I'll be contacting support during the week.

Nathan K

• 4.  RE: Upgraded MM and one of my controllers appears down

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 11, 2022 08:10 PM
    If and MD and MM have a "relationship" their pings would only succeed in the tunnel that connects both of them.  If the tunnel is not established, pings will not work, otherwise.

I would open a support case to minimize your troubleshooting at this point.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 5.  RE: Upgraded MM and one of my controllers appears down

Posted Sep 17, 2022 12:28 PM
    Quick update on this. There wasn't an issue with the tunnel but how long I was waiting before freaking out and reverting back to the old partition. Once either controller reboots after the upgrade, I can immediately ping it from an end-user device but not the MM. However, it took a good 10 minutes for the tunnel to re-establish and for the MM to communicate with the controller. This doesn't happen after a normal reboot, but it appears to be happening with this upgrade.

From the MM, the controller shows as down in both the cli and gui. APs are equally assigned to each controller while the MM says "down." Then, 10+ minutes later, the MM sees the controller again.

Frustrating and frightening at the same time but I'm glad it's working.

Nathan K