Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Upgrading AOS-CX 10.12 VSX update-software

This thread has been viewed 84 times
  • 1.  Upgrading AOS-CX 10.12 VSX update-software

Posted Nov 12, 2023 04:39 AM
    The manual state:
    "This command downloads new software from the TFTP server and verifies the download. After a
    successful verification, the command installs the software to the alternative software bank of both
    the VSX primary and secondary switches. The command then reboots them in sequence, the VSX
    secondary switch followed by VSX primary switch. For example if a switch has booted with the
    primary flash memory, then the command will install the software to secondary flash memory."

With this simple and one command:

• switch# vsx update-software tftp://192.168.1.1/XL.10.0x.xxxx vrf mgmt.

But it failed [reboot_failed.], after upgrading secondary, only messages (logging) in primary:

2023-11-12T10:12:02.083423+01:00 D14ToR8365VSXCore vsx-swupdated[827]: Event|7019|LOG_ERR|AMM|1/1|VSX primary image update failed due to reboot_failed.

2023-11-12T10:12:02.076894+01:00 D14ToR8365VSXCore vsx-swupdated[827]: Event|7024|LOG_INFO|AMM|1/1|VSX primary state changed from reboot_primary_waiting_for_secondary to reboot_secondary_completed.
    Meaning, Secondary upgraded and rebooted properly (to correct  bank), but not Primary

Anyone ?, pls

------------------------------
    Steinar

• 2.  RE: Upgrading AOS-CX 10.12 VSX update-software

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 12, 2023 01:44 PM
    Personally, I never had any issue with VSX's orchestrated software update feature since its very first introduction years (and AOS-CX software lines) ago. I used it many (really many) times flawlessly but this doesn't necessarily mean that bad things could not happen in particular conditions. It would be nice to see you sharing a little bit more details about your before/after VSX scenario and the running/target software versions involved (do those ones fall within the same AOS-CX 10.12 or what?).

• 3.  RE: Upgrading AOS-CX 10.12 VSX update-software

Posted Nov 13, 2023 12:43 AM
    Thank you for the swift and thoughtful response.
    Yes I agree it should have worked, but It didn't.

However, the two VSX-stacked 8365 is still in a pre-production and lab environment,
    with the same running image, as the intended upgraded image.

This may or may not have been a factor.

Hence the simplified commando, and not that many logging lines
    I am not sure where to look for more information.

I will retest when a new firmware image is available

Steinar

• 4.  RE: Upgrading AOS-CX 10.12 VSX update-software

Posted Nov 17, 2023 05:52 AM

what am i doing wrong ?

ToR8365VSXCore# vsx update-software tftp://10.20.30.40/10130005 vrf default

This command will download and upgrade new software image version,
    both VSX primary and secondary systems, from 'LL.10.12.1010' to '10130005' installed
    in secondary bank on both devices, then reboot them in sequence.
    The VSX secondary will reboot first, followed by primary.
    Continue (y/n)? y
    Do you want to save the current configuration (y/n)? y
    The running configuration is saved to the startup configuration.
    VSX Primary Software Update Status     : Reboot failed
    VSX Secondary Software Update Status   : None
    VSX ISL Status                         : Up
    Progress [###############################...........................................................]

Software update failed. Reboot failed on VSX primary.

As in first test, the Secondary worked.

??

Steinar

• 5.  RE: Upgrading AOS-CX 10.12 VSX update-software

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 17, 2023 07:29 AM
    Mate, what the hell is that "10130005" ?

• 6.  RE: Upgrading AOS-CX 10.12 VSX update-software

Posted Nov 22, 2023 04:54 AM

Just a naming convention, due to file-name length issues with the tftp server,
    The images is copied twice ok (as indicated in the cli/console), 
    but after some strange behavior, it probably fallback, or whatever,
    then revert to the original image in primary member.

Steinar

• 7.  RE: Upgrading AOS-CX 10.12 VSX update-software

MVP GURU
    Posted Nov 22, 2023 12:04 PM

Hi!

If I haven't misunderstood what you wrote, to me, reading that the orchestrated VSX Software Update Procedure you launched reported 10130005:

both VSX primary and secondary systems, from 'LL.10.12.1010' to '10130005' installed

instead of correctly reporting LL.10.13.0005 shows that your "naming convention" (due to your supposedly TFTP restriction) isn't/couldn't be so "transparent" with respect to the uploaded file name change and its subsequent parsing by the AOS-CX.

Maybe I'm totally wrong...but when I did (please note the SWI filename, exactly the one downloaded by ASP) the VSX Software Update on my Aruba 8360 VSX Primary running the AOS-CX 10.10.1070:

vsx update-software tftp://<TFTP-Server-IP-Address/ArubaOS-CX_8360_10_10_1090.swi vrf mgmt

the AOS-CX CLI reported (thus parsed) correctly the AOS-CX target Software Version, as I expected, showing LL.10.10.1090 correctly:

both VSX primary and secondary systems, from 'LL.10.10.1070' to 'LL.10.10.1090' installed

And the update was flawless, as usual.

Am I wrong with that assumption?

Are you saying that whatever filename you impose to the SWI file the parsing of contained AOS-CX Software Version will be correct?

In all honesty I never tried changing the SWI filename (or its swi extension) since the TFTP Server I'm used to has no restrictions on filename length/extension.

• 8.  RE: Upgrading AOS-CX 10.12 VSX update-software

Posted Dec 29, 2023 08:41 AM

Steinar,

did you get it solved? I have the same issue with a 8100 vsx stack. At the end the image is uploaded only in the secondary vsx member. The secondary vsx member is rebooted with  the new image, the primary fails in the proces with a reboot failed on VSX primary.

Putting the image manually in the image bank and issue the command vsx update-software boot-bank primary/secondary works. 

Regards,

Don

• 9.  RE: Upgrading AOS-CX 10.12 VSX update-software

Posted Dec 31, 2023 01:39 AM

Hi, NO , not resolved :(

Steinar

• 10.  RE: Upgrading AOS-CX 10.12 VSX update-software

Posted 14 days ago

Hello Steinar

Did you have any update regarding your issue ?

I have the same behaviour and log messages on a brand new cluster of CX8100 upgrading from 10.12.0006 to 10.13.1010.

VSX cluster is ok,

keepalive is ok,

ntp is ok,

i've activate the allow unsafe-update 

but it doesn't upgrade the primary member...

• 11.  RE: Upgrading AOS-CX 10.12 VSX update-software

Posted 14 days ago

For me it had to do with the name of the firmware file. I had to change the name for example from ArubaOS-CX_8360-8100_10_12_1010.swi to LL_10_12_1010.swi. After changing the name, the firmware update  run without any issues.

Regards,

Don

DonW

• 12.  RE: Upgrading AOS-CX 10.12 VSX update-software

Posted 14 days ago

Hello Don,

Thank you so much ! that was precisely it ! 

Now the vsx update-software have been successfully processed.

I'm kinda disappointed though. The switch should prompt a message or something during the file verification before launching the upgrade. And why the badly name file is applied on the secondary member  but doesn't pass on the primary member  ?

Plus the prerequisite of renaming the file is not mentionned in the CLI Guide.  Now that you gave me tips, I can see in the exemple section that the name of the file has been modified :

it's a tricky one ...

thank you again

it made my day ! 

Loïc

• 13.  RE: Upgrading AOS-CX 10.12 VSX update-software
    Best Answer

Posted 4 days ago

The issue has been recognized with a bug id: 299851 in the AOS-CX 10.13.1010 Release Notes, with a:

• Workaround: Manually load the image in the boot bank or rename the image to standard format: XX_10_XX_XXXX.swi. 

Steinar

• 14.  RE: Upgrading AOS-CX 10.12 VSX update-software

Posted 12 days ago

I had this issue too. There is another way to update VSX firmware. First  upload new firmware to selected bootbank (primary/secondary) wuth any method (scp/ftp/web gui). The bootbank must be the same on both devices. Then issue (from the (config) prompt a command

vsx update-software boot-bank secondary   

or 

vsx update-software boot-bank primary

depending on where you put the new firmware

-- tommyd

• 15.  RE: Upgrading AOS-CX 10.12 VSX update-software

Posted 11 days ago

I agree with the first reply. I observed timeouts when doing the tftp method (shown on tftp server). Using a simple transfer allows this part to be checked before the upgrade. 

I found editing the blocksize in the CX command helped with the speed a little but it still took many minutes.