Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Upgrading Wifi-controller MSM760

This thread has been viewed 17 times
  • 1.  Upgrading Wifi-controller MSM760

Posted Jan 31, 2023 05:35 AM

I have a MSM760 with 70 attached access-points.
    Very pleased with it, so I bought a spare one - just in case.
    The one I just aquired has a lower firmware-version 5.7.1.1
    The one I'm  running in production now is 5.7.3.0 I would like the newly aquired one to run at least the same version. So I have two questions

1)
    To upgrade either one of them, do I need some kind of service-contract?
    I can't seem to find the software on the hpe.com-website

2)
    Would you recommend to upgrade all the way up to the newest version, if I find a way to do it?

danish greetings
    Hans Otto Lunde

• 2.  RE: Upgrading Wifi-controller MSM760

MVP GURU
    Posted Jan 31, 2023 12:26 PM
    That controller is End of Life, and also End of Support. You may need to try and find firmware elsewhere.

------------------------------
    Dustin Burns

Lead Mobility Engineer @Worldcom Exchange, Inc.

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2022-2023
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Upgrading Wifi-controller MSM760

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 31, 2023 03:54 PM
    Hello, 
    The controller is end of sales and end of support. That means that no support contracts are available any longer.
    All download pages for legacy HPE networking products were moved to asp.arubanetworks.com but for some reason this was not done for MSM so there is no download page at the moment. Maybe due to the fact that MSM was already end of sales when the migration was done.
    5.7.1.1 and 5.7.3.0 are relatively close to each other. Maybe if you have a premium license you can enable teaming. If the controller with 5.7.3.0 is team manager and you add the other controller to the team, the team manager will upgrade the team member to the same version automatically. 

The last version for MSM is 6.6.9.1 from May 2019. It will require an upgrade in steps so you need to also find the intermediate firmware.
    If your controller is not already running Version 5.7.5.0 or 6.0.3.0 or later, a two-step upgrade must be performed. First upgrade your controller to Version 5.7.5.0 or 6.2.1.1, and then as a second step, upgrade the controller to V6.6.9.1
    The upgrade will also introduce a lot of changes and new features and this can be sometimes challenging. Especially given the fact that there is no support. If the WLAN is stable with 5.7.3.0 and you don't need any new features maybe its better to stay with 5.7.3.0.

• 4.  RE: Upgrading Wifi-controller MSM760

Posted Feb 01, 2023 07:04 AM
    Hi Emil

Thanks for your very detailed answer!
    We' will consider our options.
    If we should change the controller from the one we use now, to the other one, who has a slightly older firmware, would this cause problems for the connected access-points assuming that the controllers have the excact same configuration?

--
    Hans Otto Lunde
    Højskolelærer/Systemadministrator
    Mobil: 61 30 93 36

• 5.  RE: Upgrading Wifi-controller MSM760

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 01, 2023 08:51 AM
    Hello
    As I said 5.7.1.1 and 5.7.3.0 are close versions so I am assuming that there are no or no big differences in feature set.
    The spare controller running the lower version 5.7.1.1 will downgrade all the APs automatically to its own version (which will cause an additional AP reboot) and they should be able to work fine with the same config. Since it is a lower version there may be some bugs which will be re-introduced. But I think it general it should be working.