Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

USB format for wireless controllers

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  USB format for wireless controllers

Posted Mar 18, 2024 03:34 PM

*I also posted this in the Network Management community

I am working toward upgrading a 7010 Aruba wireless controller/mobility gateway. I may be able to upgrade from local in the GUI, but would like to be able to put the new OS on the USB to boot from in the event of any issues. 

We have a 128GB USB stick plugged into one of the WLC's USB slots. It's been formatted FAT from a Windows machine. I see the drive in CLI and can copy to it. I realize FAT will only allow 32GB partitions, which is much more than I need. However, the reported USB size is only 1000K, or 1 MB. 

I've read that an external drive should be formatted vFAT, but the more I read about this, it seems this is more of a driver for accessing a FAT file system than a format itself. I also see other recommended formats are ext2 or ext3.

Has anyone run up against this before, and if so, how did you get around it? We don't have access to a Linux-based system.

Thanks,

Lane

• 2.  RE: USB format for wireless controllers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 19, 2024 10:55 AM

I would recommend using a much smaller USB drive.  I usually use a 4 GB drive for this purpose.

------------------------------
    Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110
    ------------------------------