last person joined: yesterday 

Expand all | Collapse all

used Aruba 3810m

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  used Aruba 3810m

Posted 14 days ago

Greetings,

brand new to aruba switching forum.

I recently purchased a used aruba 3810m switch off eBay from a reputable seller.  I am worried that when the company I contract for tries to add the serial and mac it will come back under another vendor.  The seller's feedback in the the hundred thousands with %97.7 positive so I believe he is on the up and up (if there was a slight doubt I don't think I would have purchased from them).

Companies lease, upgrade, swap, and sell their equipment all the time.  Those old pieces of hardware shouldn't end up in a landfill.  Is Aruba somewhat lenient when it comes to this type of situation if you can provide clear evidence you're not trying to scam?  I would imagine these resellers have had this equipment for some time so it should have been noted as "offline" in Aruba Central for that duration and as long as it wasn't reported stolen/missing, should I be OK?  I am probably making a mountain out of a mole hill but all the same, it wasn't $5k+ that I paid but it wasn't cheap either and I'd hate to be out of that money.

• 2.  RE: used Aruba 3810m

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 13 days ago

Not fully sure what you ask, but if the original owner still has the equipment in Central and subscribed, it will get managed by central again and you can't move it to another account. If you buy pre-owned equipment there is always a risk as you don't know the source of the equipment and it may be stolen. Also the (life-time) warranty only applies to the original owner of the product; and you won't be able to contact support unless you are the registered owner of the device.

You may be lucky, but there is also a risk that you buy stolen goods if you don't know where the equipment originates from.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: used Aruba 3810m

Posted 13 days ago

Thank you for the reply Herman!

I purchased the switch off ebay and the seller did have a very high feedback rating so I would like to 'think' that the equipment isn't hot... especially since others have bought similar equipment (from reading through their feedback) and have reported positive feedback.   If the switch I purchased has been offline for, let's say, 4 months, and it isn't reported missing or stolen, would I have a good chance to plead my case to Aruba support to see if they can remove the switch from the previous company?

I reason there are 3 scenarios in which a company would get rid of their Aruba network equipment.

1. They upgraded to a more recent model and if I am correct in understanding, with them removing the old switch from production (it being offline), that would trigger some kind of 'warning' or 'alert' in Aruba Central in which they would either have to constantly clear(?) or they would have to remove that device?... and if they removed that device, would that free it up to be added to a different Aruba Central account?
    2.  They upgraded network equipment and went with a totally different brand and in this case (especially if they're not using Aruba brand equipment for anything else) they most likely would cancel their Aruba Central (would they get a pro-rated refund?) or let their subscription run out and if the latter, and they're not using any more Aruba equipment, there would be no need to even log in to Aruba Central or use the App (I don't what methods you can use Aruba Central) so they would not get alerts? and therefor have no need to remove equipment...... which would be bad for the new owner
    3. The last likely scenario is that they just couldn't stay afloat in today's tumultuous economy and had to shudder their doors; and in this case, again, they would either have to cancel their Aruba Central account or let it expire (and if it's cancelled, does that relinquish all devices automatically?

I know, I am all over the board and probably making a mountain out of a mole hill as our NOC has already configured the switch but they haven't had me connect it online yet (they configured via a webex session to a laptop and console cable into the switch).