Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

UXI Sensors changing WiFi MAC address on WLAN

This thread has been viewed 33 times
  • 1.  UXI Sensors changing WiFi MAC address on WLAN

Posted 18 days ago

Has anybody else recently had issues with the WiFi MAC address changing on UXI sensors? 

I've got a client who had their sensors enrolled with MPSK / MAC Auth and about 3 weeks ago they all went down and this was due to the MAC address on the WLAN interface for the test changing.

Why do the sensors act like an AP and use a different MAC address per BSSID?

Scott

• 2.  RE: UXI Sensors changing WiFi MAC address on WLAN

Posted 18 days ago

Very intriguing. Does the UXI Sensor (what model do you have) display the different WLAN MAC Addresses for each in the dashboard or a way to enable/disable it per network profile?

I actually put a feature request in to the Innovation Zone last week for the "capability" to alter the WLAN Mac Address of a sensor in order to influence which Controller/Gateway a sensor would terminate to via AOS 8/10 UAC assignment in order to monitor the overall health of the cluster, since we've had some stability issues. Course this was just last week that I suggested it as a feature.

https://innovate.arubanetworks.com/ideas/UXI-I-586

• 3.  RE: UXI Sensors changing WiFi MAC address on WLAN

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 18 days ago

UXI randomly uses a Virtual MAC for the Wi-Fi interface. This is not configurable and was implemented to get around bugs present on other vendors APs.

• 4.  RE: UXI Sensors changing WiFi MAC address on WLAN

Posted 17 days ago

Is this a recent change or have they always done this? I'm using the G5 UXI . I've had a case open since october with TAC where the random BSSID are being seen as adhoc nodes and causing IPS alerts. 

I'm seeing that on different WLAN profiles, the last digit of the BSSID is changing but also the entire first few bytes of the MAC addresss in some radio frames.

• 5.  RE: UXI Sensors changing WiFi MAC address on WLAN

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 17 days ago

Hi Scott,

No, this is not a recent change. This was done several years ago. The feature actually requires support to apply a feature flag on the backend in order to enable. I would contact UXI support and ask them if the feature flag for random virtual MAC is incorrectly applied to your account because it should be disabled by default.

• 6.  RE: UXI Sensors changing WiFi MAC address on WLAN

Posted 17 days ago

thanks for the info, i'll pass to TAC and see if that helps.

what determines which virtual MAC is assigned to a testing profile? what would cause this to change? 

All my devices were enrolled with MPSK and now the MAC of each radio connection to the MPLK network has incremented by 1 causing all devices to disconnect as they are no longer valid clients. 

• 7.  RE: UXI Sensors changing WiFi MAC address on WLAN
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 17 days ago

This shouldn't be expected if the feature flag is disabled. Enabling the feature flag requires asking support to enable it. Perhaps somehow it accidentally got enabled on your account? I would troubleshoot this with UXI TAC.

• 8.  RE: UXI Sensors changing WiFi MAC address on WLAN

Posted 21 hours ago

just wanted to say thanks for the advice, you were 100% correct with this being the issue. TAC had enabled on another case and not told anybody. 

took some escalation to even get them to consider this but now back in service. thanks for your assistance!