SD-WAN

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Forum to discuss HPE Aruba EdgeConnect SD-WAN and SD-Branch solutions. This includes SD-WAN Orchestration WAN edge network functions - routing, security, zone-based firewall, segmentation and WAN optimization, micro-branch solutions, best practics, and third-party integrations. All things SD-WAN!
Expand all | Collapse all

vGateway to vGateway IPSec / Hub Mesh issue

This thread has been viewed 17 times
  • 1.  vGateway to vGateway IPSec / Hub Mesh issue

Posted Jan 05, 2024 06:24 PM

We have two vGateways deployed into two different Azure Regions, acting as VPNCs in our network. We setup Hub Meshing between the two and once the tunnels established we were able to ping between VMs and between the two Gateways, although when we attempt to copy files between the two, ICMP packets start dropping and even a 5MB file just fails to copy. Both vGateways are running AOS 10.5.0.1.

Anyone seen this kind of behaviour before? We have an open ticket with TAC, but thought to ask the community as well.

• Both vGateways are unmanaged deployments
    • The primary vGateway in the Australia East Region has overlay connections to our physical offices and traffic between the branches and this VPNC is fast - we get 30MBps up/down over SMB, with no ping drops
    • The secondary vGateway is in the Australia Southeast Region.
    • We have tried both an S2S IPSec tunnel between the two gateways and a Hub Mesh tunnel and they have the same result 

Only thing I have noticed is when Hub Mesh or IPSec tunnels are established, the MTU is 1500, whereas all my Hub-Spoke Orchestrated Tunnels have an MTU of 1450... The Aruba TAC engineer did ask about MTU. We were able to change the IPSec tunnel MTU to 1450 by modifying the DPD MTU setting from 1500 to 1450. This has made no difference to the behaviour / packet loss though.

• 2.  RE: vGateway to vGateway IPSec / Hub Mesh issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 06, 2024 08:04 PM

are you configuring manual IPSEC tunnels between them?

------------------------------
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: vGateway to vGateway IPSec / Hub Mesh issue

Posted Jan 06, 2024 08:16 PM

I have tried both deploying Hub Mesh and configuring a manual IPsec tunnel between the two vpnc's and get the same instability of the connection between the two. 

• 4.  RE: vGateway to vGateway IPSec / Hub Mesh issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 06, 2024 09:25 PM

is there any reason why you are using unmanaged mode?

Also did you follow this unmanaged mode documentation?

If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.